• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trail tools, and parts

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I'm going to start my trail toolbox and parts kit for my 72. I want to keep it small and lightweight, but still functional. First thing I'm going to put is some u-joints, gear oil, water, crescent wrench. What else do you carry? What are the common breaking parts on a bronco?

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Vice grips(flat style w/wire cutter), exchangeable tipped screw driver, small pry bar, spare belts, hand sledge....

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Hub tool! Tire plugs, shop towels, full set of combo wrenches and sockets, pliers, cutters, knife. Fire extinguisher, not in the box but within reach.
These are in my daily tool box, I have a larger one for trail use with oil/oil filter, air filter, water, oxy/mapp torch, can of radiator stop-leak, lights, spark plugs, belts, bungees, hose clamps, gasket material, bottle opener, muffler clamps, jumper cables, hand drill, and much more. Don't forget a shovel is required by law in many recreation ares. I keep mine with my Hi Lift and axe.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I'm back, I went out and checked my kit and found all of the above plus.... assorted hose clamps, can of brake clean, one foot fuel line (rubber hose ), tube of radiator stop leak.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Hub Tool, Full 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" socket set; Hammer; pliers; Copper RTV, Blue RTV, 1 ft of 3/8's fuel hose, tie-wraps, extra u-joint(s), knife, tow ropes, bunjee cords, 1 quart 80w-90, 2 quarts 20w-50, and finally a 1 gallon gas can.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Get Triple AAA and let them figure it out ;D

Actually I would suggest a first aid kit, some sort of Jack(6ft trail jack, often seen bolted to roll bar bumpers frame etc.) Military type of shovel, Some sort of air pump, jumper cables, tye straps, wire for strapping or tying things up. Cant go wrong with adjustable and a socket set either-

Brake, Gear, power steering, oil and water
Fix a flat or that Green Tire sealer-

You dont have to take all of it with you, you can leave most of it at a base camp and tkae the tools and first aid kit.

Dont forget the cell phone and charger ;)

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
For tools, I keep one's that I have used to repairs/maintain the Bronco in the truck. If you needed it in the driveway, better have it on the trail. Search web for 4x4 trail tools and you'll find some lists.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
Hub tool is critical. 5' x 7' tarp. fuses. toilet paper(think, there you are, with wife, girlfriend, etc. and she hasta....have it and your a hero, don't and you are deaf in your right ear), hand cleaner. A flashlight with fresh batteries. WD40, great for finding vacuum leaks, and drying out drowned electrical components. My lawn chairs always go, even on day trips. Darned important tool to maintain hearing in right ear.

Also, make sure you have tow points front and rear that are accessible, tow straps are useless without somewhrer to attach to.

Did I mention a Hub Tool? ;)

dpm

OP
OP
griff

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
How come every time I buy another vehicle I have to buy another hub tool! I had an 84 f-250m one time it was ifs, but I think it was a 44 in front?? I wonder what are the chances of that fitting?

I forgot to mention, I have the shovel, hi-lift jack, strap, tire repair kit, first aid kit, & gas can.
Will get the t.p., open end wrench set, and a couple others.

I asked about frequent breaking parts, and not one person mentioned a weak point on the bronco. Maybe there isn't any. :)

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
About break downs, the only thing that comes to mind is they are notorious for overheating. If you go on a big run invariably 4 or 5 broncos will have their hoods up for cooling whenever you stop for breaks or lunch. I've had more than one jeeper make a comment about it so I tell him their just talking....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That sounds like a fairly complete list. I have a spare rear U-joint just in case. A good suply of fluids. The cresent wrench is on top. Starting fluid and brake clean, they are pratically interchangable. Fresh RTV, if it's dried out, it ain't going to do you any good. There is a can of aluma seal. The old hoses I took off as part of the last preventative maintance I did. A voltmeter/test light. Electric tape. Assorted pieces of electrical wire (also a substitute for pailing wire at times). BIG hammer. Lugwrench. Light of some kind. Rags and a ½ roll of paper towels. Tire plugs and a CO² bottle. Fuses.

I am not sure what else I have. That's just what I remember off the top of my head. I know there are a few more things in there like tow straps, winch controls, old spark plugs, HUB TOOL.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The only parts I have had trouble with on the trail so far. Front axle u-joint but dont cary a spare when it goes it takes the axle so either carry a whole assembly or forget it. Air filter and fuel filter carry a spare of each. a couple of used spark plugs and 2 long spark plug wires. If you have electronic ignition then a spare module and spare pick-up assembly. I carry a set of used hoses and 3 foot each spare hose for fuel, heater and 3/8 high pressure and it can be used both for auto tranny or power steering in a pinch Carry a couple of real heavy duty ratchet straps they come in handy when things go bad. and a electric fuel pump. I carry a full tool kit and a diagnostic kit of meters and guages I rarely need them but the people I have gone with have really counted on the stuff i carry to save their bacon. carry an assortment of bolts washers and nuts to 4 inch long youll be suprized how much they are needed when things dont stay together. Dont carry metric nothing your baby dont need it. Made in the good ol USA. Carry a cheap tarp 5X7 is fine and (4) 2 gallon zip lock bags.
TAKE YOUR CELL PHONE!!! As stated above a chair and toilet paper are very nice when needed. Quadrajet carb solved my hood problem so it only goes up at lunch time to remove the hot burritoes or Mc Rib sandwiches if available also a hat and a jacket If you are going anywhere near water bring dry clothes wrapped in plastic. Sh*t happens you know. If it is liquid bring a gallon of it. From oil to liquid refreshment.
Where does it all fit? thats why we have Bronco's and not cheeps.

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
You guys with tool boxes behind your rear seat, can you post some pictures so I can get some ideas?

Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
[quote author=Ford_Tuff link=board=5;threadid=15619;start=15#msg118850 date=1048740897]
You guys with tool boxes behind your rear seat, can you post some pictures so I can get some ideas?

Thanks
[/quote]

I almost forgot, a set of allen wrenches to take off the hub so you can use the spindle nut wrench, the impact wrench and sockets.

As for looking at the tool box, bome on out to the Stamped this weekend and look around. Your in AZ, it's just a drive across town.