• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tranny ? dont want the stock three speed

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
I cant stand the three speed tranny in this thing and not sure it will end up being strong enough I would like a 4 or 5 speed when all is said and done well I have a neighbor that parts out 70-80 f150-250 some of which are 4x4 but I took a peek under one and the transfer case is totally diff looks stronger then mine I could get a good deal if I new what too ask for and can I put a transfer case that is not part of the tranny in the bronco like the trucks have? and what would it take and would it be worth the work ? And is there any other parts i should look for from these trucks ?

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, you can get us to talk for hours on this topic. The short answer is yes, you can use many of the '70-'80 truck parts. I would stay away from the divorced transfer cases. By the time you get all of that under a Bronco you would have a very short rear driveline.

Take a look in the Bronco FAQ under that transmission and transfer case sections. There is a great overview of the available swaps and options there. Also, search this section and you will find tons of information.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Try to get a NP435 they were the most common in the 70's they are cheap to adapt and strong they also have the lowest granny gear. Other trannys found in those years will be the T-18 and T-19 both also good strong trannys the t-18 will have a slightly higher first gear than the NP435 and the t-19 has a slighly higher first gear than the T-18. The T-18/19 are also about 1in longer than the NP435. You could also find a toploader OD 4sp during those years it will look similar to your 3 speed but may have a shifter on the top cover they are considered to be weaker than the other trannies but will hold up if you dont abuse them. They have a slightly lower first gear than the stock 3 sp and a OD which helps on the hiway.

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
?NP435 I have heard of slang names like rock crusher , top loader I am not sure what the NP435 is . ok what kind of parts would I need and do they sell a kit for putting it in if I get the tranny

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
what do you plan on doing with your truck? once we know that, we can help you decide on the better option for your needs. there's lots of 5 speeds with kits available that drive very nicely.

nothing against the NP435, it's a bomb proof tranny. it just shifts like a tank. i don't know of an adapter that you can just bolt on it and go either.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The NP435 ie made by New Process was used in many trucks during the late 60's up through the 80's. Its a 4 speed tranny cast iron cased tranny with a aluminum shift cover. It has a 6.69-1 first gear which is great for offroad the rest of the gears are similar to your current 3 speed gearing. Yes this tranny shifts a little slow but broncos are not sports cars so no big deal. Many venders sell adapters for this tranny check there sites out also check out the links section to the left of this page theres a lot of info there. The NP435 is almost bolt in the only modifcation required is a hole in the tunnel for the shifter to stick through other than that everything bolts right back into the stock locations no crossmember mods or anything else required unlike ever 5 speed swap out there and it will only cost about 1/4 of what a 5 speed will cost. I would love to have a 5 speed but theres no way I'm paying 2k+ for one.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
ZF!........I went with a C4. Gonna keep that till I can get a 6 on the tree!

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
If you can't stand the three speed , GREAT, but unless you get it caught between gears , I doubt YOU can make one fail.
When you pull your 303 , leave it on the side of the road , I 'll be by to pick it up.
I have 5 and yours will make 6;D , keep em comin guys I just put one together out of three.;)

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
1 old 67 said:
I cant stand the three speed tranny in this thing and not sure it will end up being strong enough I would like a 4 or 5 speed when all is said and done well I have a neighbor that parts out 70-80 f150-250 some of which are 4x4 but I took a peek under one and the transfer case is totally diff looks stronger then mine I could get a good deal if I new what too ask for and can I put a transfer case that is not part of the tranny in the bronco like the trucks have? and what would it take and would it be worth the work ? And is there any other parts i should look for from these trucks ?
Oh yeah there's a tech article for you to browse
<-------------- to your left

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
WELL I PUT 2" BODY LIFT ON AND WORKIN ON THE 5.5. SUP LIFT THE TRUCK IS GOING TO BE USED MOSTLY FOR MUD AND HILLS AND IT WILL AND IS BEING DRIVEN I WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM THE ROCKS THE BIG ONES FOR NOW I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE REAR FENDERS STOCK FOR AS LONG AS I CAN STAND IT I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE STOCK BODY SO I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH TIRE I CAN GET UNDER THERE ? WELL I HOPE THIS HELPS TO GIVE YOU GUYS SOME IDEA OF WHAT I WANT TO DO

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1 old 67 said:
WELL I PUT 2" BODY LIFT ON AND WORKIN ON THE 5.5. SUP LIFT THE TRUCK IS GOING TO BE USED MOSTLY FOR MUD AND HILLS AND IT WILL AND IS BEING DRIVEN I WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM THE ROCKS THE BIG ONES FOR NOW I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE REAR FENDERS STOCK FOR AS LONG AS I CAN STAND IT I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE STOCK BODY SO I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH TIRE I CAN GET UNDER THERE ? WELL I HOPE THIS HELPS TO GIVE YOU GUYS SOME IDEA OF WHAT I WANT TO DO

...and you're worried about your tranny? I'd be more concerned with your center of gravity being as high as it is. There's a reason the rear fenders get cut and that is to allow a wider stance to increase stability as lift and tire size increase. Without cut fenders, you severly limit your ability to go wider and/or taller with wheels and tires. Do a search for uncut Bronco tire size and you'll see what has been fit and with what modifications.

Back to the questions at hand though, for mud and hills I would have to say that it's pretty tough to beat a C4 or similar auto. The NP435 is a good tranny for what it is, a truck transmission, and a fairly straight forward swap as far as conversions go. I've swapped in an NV4500 into my 77 F150 and while nice, I'd probably go a different route if I were to do it again.:cool:

OP
OP
1 old 67

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
well if i need to end up cutting i will:-[ but i have had some tough times with auto trans i have had 4 mustangs and all of them had auto trans in them and all of them went out and it was my fault i will be the frist to say it but that is a car this is a bronco i cant see it holding up ? i know pep have them and are hard on them just not sure what it would take to be strong enough for my right foot %)

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
My 2 cents is that if your serious about mud and hills or muddy hills, stick with an auto tranny. The C-4 in the bronco is a great tranny and should last you a really long time. Make sure to add a large or even multiple coolers as heat is the devil!

Ben