• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 tranny question....

75 Bronco Ranger

Can someone decipher this for me please?

"2nd Generation Ford C4 Transmission w/6-Cylinder Bell housing.

Removed from a 1967 Ford Mustang. I bought the car last summer as a restoration project. Selling the transmission because I'm currently not planning to use a C4 on this project.

Assuming this is a rebuilt C4, because the date stamping is all over the place:
Trans ID tag indicates 1979
Trans Case stamp indicates 1974
Trans Valve Body stamp indicates 1972

Car was not running at the time, so I've been unable to do a road test. I did drop the pan, and it looked pretty clean. Fluid was clean and clear. I cleaned the pan and replaced the gasket and filter."

Priced right.

Good fit for a 74 build or no?

TIA

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Good fit for a 74 build or no?

You'd be putting a car transmission into an Early Bronco. And a car transmission that was behind a six cylinder. Since it's a two wheel drive transmission, it has the incorrect main shaft and the entire transmission will need to be disassembled to install the correct 4x4 main shaft to work with a Dana 20 adapter. If that's all you do, you're still running a 2wd car transmission in a Bronco. If your Bronco is a pavement queen, you'll probably be OK. If you go offroad at all, consider beefing up the internals to convert the 2wd transmission to a 4x4 transmission. Of course by the time you do all of this you'll likely end up spending more money than simply finding an EB C4 in the first place.