• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tranny fluid in the t-case

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was swapping front yokes on the Dana 20 and had some fluid come out. I noticed it was thin and red and sure enough it was tranny fluid. I know there is a seal in the adapter that is the only place it could leak through, but is this a problem? I don't see how it could hurt the t-case, even if I drained it and filled it with tranny fluid rather than 90W.

The only harm I see it could do is if the 90W got into the tranny, but don't see how that could happen since the tranny is under pressure.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I bet the old seal is hard as a rock.

The C4 is not under pressure at that rear seal. Gravity during accelleration is forcing the fluid past the seal. Change it out.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like I'll be swapping. The tranny has a nasty leak that I need to look further into anyways. Where exactly is this seal?

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Looks like I'll be swapping. The tranny has a nasty leak that I need to look further into anyways. Where exactly is this seal?

When you take the transfer case off the trans, it is where the shaft from the trans goes into the transfer case. Be a good idea to replace all the seals while you are at it. Or wait and do them as they leak.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

The seal is inside the bearing retainer here, behind the bearing and gear. This will be stuck inside the front of the tcase. No need to remove the adapter.

Attachments

• Bronco 115.jpg
    Bronco 115.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 13

CJ who???

Loc.
Banning, Ca...
I was swapping front yokes on the Dana 20 and had some fluid come out. I noticed it was thin and red and sure enough it was tranny fluid. I know there is a seal in the adapter that is the only place it could leak through, but is this a problem? I don't see how it could hurt the t-case, even if I drained it and filled it with tranny fluid rather than 90W.

The only harm I see it could do is if the 90W got into the tranny, but don't see how that could happen since the tranny is under pressure.

I think the Dana 20 T-Case calls for 50W. not 90W. I'm sure somebody will chime in that is 100% sure......