• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tranny to transfercase adapter leak!

Jess Luvs 2Romp

Loc.
Montara, CA
Well some time back, i put some ATF (automatic trany fluid) into my transmission, cuz it's what the guy at kragen said to use. well, there has been a leak coming through the bolts that attach the transfercase adapter.

will putting in the correct oil, along with some Lucas lube fix this leak? thanks!

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) You could put some sealer on the bolts and re torque them. I use loctite ultra blue its a rtv silicone and works very well good lucl. ;D ;D ;D Bill %) :p

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I have never used the tap on bolts but you could try. Its just that I use rtv it has worked very well for me so I wont change. But that is just me good luck. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

U

Unregistered

(GASACINCH) made by edelbrock works on the bolts as well as the gaskets , coat the bolts & leave them alone for about thirty minutes, then install, if you ever do the gaskets use one of those cheap artist paint brushes to apply it to the gaskets -the in brush on the lid will get it places you don't want

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
Wow, auto parts idiots strike again. Sorry to hear of your trouble. Have you checked to see if it has gotten past the adapter and into the transfercase? I would check that and either way, get that ATF out of there ASAP.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Which tranny do you have? My ZF does take ATF, but none of the older trannys will.

Get some thread sealant. It's kind of like pipe dope for bolts. Permatex and Loctite both make a version and it works really well. It's usually in the same isle as the RTV and thread locker at the parts store. Maybe not at Kragen, those guys are idiots.