• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trans question

Green-Machine

nv 3500. It is rated at 300 ft./lbs. at 7200 GVW.

If you want to save some money i would go with a ford zf there pertty much the same as a nv4500 and it will bolt right up to the 302 with small block bellhousing

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All depends on how you intend to drive this 400 hp motor. The 3550 will be a little sportier but also weaker they do fail even in jeeps with stock engines. The 4500 is more of a truck tranny but a lot stronger it also has lower gearing which may help if you plan on doing any slow speed 4wheeling since your engine is going to be pretty high strung.
Overall since your saying its a 400 hp 302 I doubt you'll really have a issue with tranny strenght as that power wont be seen until hi RPM's probably around the 5-6K rpm mark and i would even expect the torque not to peak until around 3500-4000 rpm

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
If you are going to run an Atlas T case go with the NV tranny. That way you do not have to buy any adapters.