• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case - Noob Question

bsteab0yz

Hi all - I have a very leaky transfer case... coming from somewhere on top... assuming gasket is bad. My understanding of a transfer case is that is engages the back axel for 4WD. If I only drive in 2H, do I still need the functionality of the transfer case? Or can I drain it and call it a day? Wasn't sure if it was doing anything when NOT in 4WD.

Thanks and sorry for a basic question

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Need oil in it.
While in 2WD you only have power going straight through, you still have gears in mesh (just not transmitting power), bearing, and even seals that need lube and cooling. The rear output bearings have a preload to them and need cooling oil. Ask someone who burned up a transfer case while flat towing if it is possible to kill a transfer case with no power going through it. The answer is yes, it will die a painful death.