• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transfer case shift trouble

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
my transfer case will not shift into 4 high.it has been like this for a while and i am getting tired of it.any ideas.i also have a pto winch that i think is broke where it bolts to transfer case.how does it work gears or what and just guessing what would it cost to fix

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D The PTO should have a shifter on it and it is just in or out typ one speed. As for the T/case is it J or T typ. on the J's the pin in the shift ball will ware out or come lose and will need to be fixed. What I do wirh them is drill out a little larger and tack it in and that will fix most times good luck.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I would check the adjustment in the shifter first. Pull the t-handle all the back where 4 hi should be. Get underneath it and pull the pin out that is in the middle of the flat plate that connects the two shift rails. Pull the shift rails all the way out the transfer case if they are not all ready. Get back inside and pull the shifter all the way back. Get back underneath and see if the pin will go back in. If not you made need to adjust the index plate for the shifter. There are two bolts that hold it to the xfer case. The plate is slotted under the small bolt and washer and pivots on the other. Put the clevis pin back in less the cotter pin and shift it in 4lo. Repeat as above in 4 lo except both shift rails should be all the way in. You want to center the index plate so you have the same over travel at both ends of the shift pattern. If that doesn't fix it maybe something is loose inside the case, the shifter is hitting on something, the hole in the flat plate or the one of the clevis pins is worn on the shift rails or the center pin you removed.