• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case slipping into neutral? HelP!

uncphan

First time here on the forum, hopefully you all can help me out.

I've got a 74 Bronco, C4, 302, Dana 20 T-case, all stock stuff. On the highway, the T-case will slip into neutral, and I'll have to stop and put it back into 2wd. It doesn't shift easily either. A few years ago it would do this once ever 6 months but recently I drove it and it was falling into neutral ever 1/2 mile. Big pain. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is and how hard it would be to fix? Thanks.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
sounds like you need to rebuild the t-case or maybe just twin sticking it would do the trick. If you go the twin stick route I would be sure to remove the detent and truly free up the two sticks. I've also heard of guys on here that have bungee corded their's to keep it in gear.

By the way, Go Pack!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
using a bungee cord to keep the T-stick D20 in low-4wd is pretty common and I have found it necessary even with fairly fresh and tight T-cases. Having it pop out of 2-high, however, is a sure sign that it is really loose inside....and if you tried the bungee solution for that problem then it would want to go in to 4-hi, so that's no good either. Sounds like rebuild time to me..

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I had a case that did that too, but in my case, when I twin sticked it, it didn't solve the problem - it still popped out of 2-Hi.

So, what exactly needs replacing when a "rebuild is required"? Bearings? Gears? I heard shift-forks???

I don't beleive there's ever been a solid answer to the "popping out of gear" issue...

Landshark

Loc.
California
uncphan said:
First time here on the forum, hopefully you all can help me out.

I've got a 74 Bronco, C4, 302, Dana 20 T-case, all stock stuff. On the highway, the T-case will slip into neutral, and I'll have to stop and put it back into 2wd. It doesn't shift easily either. A few years ago it would do this once ever 6 months but recently I drove it and it was falling into neutral ever 1/2 mile. Big pain. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is and how hard it would be to fix? Thanks.

Hi, it sounds like the either a chipped tooth or worn/bent shift forks. Twin sticking will not help, nor using a bungee cord (to which puts even more wear on the forks). Either way, you'll have to take her apart and inspect it and replace worn parts as needed.

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
I would check the rubber boots both inside and outside around the t-case linkage. I had one that the outside boot was dried and engine heat shrunk it enough to limit 2 hi engagement. Replaced the boot and all was well. That's a pretty scary thing to have happen when going 70 mph downhill and then it kicks out . Stock brakes would hardly slow me down at the bottom of a 10% grade with 4 people in Bronco and all our camping gear too. Got home and repaired boot and never had a problem again.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Which T-case? T or J?
If T, I would check the shifter itself. It might need adjusting and securing. The T shift has a locking plate to hold the shifter in place. Also the locking linkage of the shifter may be worn. If all above is in good adjustment and shape..... :( I'd say rebuild time.
I'm not that versed on the J-shifter but doesn't it have spring loaded detent balls to hold shift rails in place? Would this be a place to look (being relatively easy compared to removal and rebuild)?

67PONY

Loc.
SE Missouri
bmc69 said:
using a bungee cord to keep the T-stick D20 in low-4wd is pretty common and I have found it necessary even with fairly fresh and tight T-cases.

Why would a T-stick D-20 require a bungee cord, even if it was worn? The locking mechanism on the handle of a T-stick should keep it in gear. I could see a J-stick requiring it, or possibly the straight-shift '66 t-case without the locking mechanism.

OP
OP
U

uncphan

I've got the J-stick. I'm thinking of just buying a rebuilt transfer case from jeff's bronco graveyard, as I've always had problems shifting the transfer case, and I don't think I want to mess with rebuilding it myself. Is there anything else I should buy if I go this route?

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
uncphan said:
I've got the J-stick. I'm thinking of just buying a rebuilt transfer case from jeff's bronco graveyard, as I've always had problems shifting the transfer case, and I don't think I want to mess with rebuilding it myself. Is there anything else I should buy if I go this route?
Well...... there is that new 3 speed transfer case. ;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
uncphan said:
I mean like any mounts or anything like that.
Yes I would replace the mounts at the same time, so you don't have to do it later on.

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
First of all when you pull the t-case cover off ( you can do this with it in the truck) check your clearence on the fork and gear there should be no more then 12 thousandths of a gap between the fork and main gear
if there is more you need to get a new fork and main gear. Just a simple rebuild will not help. this and all that is mentioned above mounts, boot covers etc can all play into this problem. but if your using a bungee cord to hold the shifter in place chances are you need a new fork and gear. Using a bungee cord also puts a a constant presure on both the gear and fork causing it to wear out faster. a better idea would be a lock out so at least there is still some play.
Oh by the way, twin sticking does not help with this either.

t2jeff

Loc.
Playa Del Rey, CA
do a search on this site for your situation. This topic is posted very so often....lots of good advice. Probably your ball detents and springs. You can fix this many different ways. I fixed mine without dropping the case, just cut a access hole in my tunnel. When you search this site, see my post....

Good luck!