• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case Removal Question/ Now Install

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
The fun just keeps coming. turns out the seal on the input shaft has been leaking oil into the bell housing. I pulled the input shaft bearing retainer and i am not sure the seal in in correctly. See the two attached pictures. i think its in backwards, the flat face should be facing the bearing not the fly wheel correct? That would explain why I have had a small amount of gear oil from time to time drip from the bell housing! Anyone can confirm this for sure?
That looks backwards to me. How's the clutch?
-JB

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Glad I am not the only one that thinks its backwards.

The truck always shifted good, Yeah I am sure there is some oil on it but not enough for me to pull that out and replace it too. Its all going to get a brake cleaner bath before I put it back together.
Looks like I will have to pull the seal out and put in a new one. Lucky I have a complete reseal kit for the NP 435 I bought years ago.

Still looking for the pig tail harness for the back up light switch.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Glad I am not the only one that thinks its backwards.

The truck always shifted good, Yeah I am sure there is some oil on it but not enough for me to pull that out and replace it too. Its all going to get a brake cleaner bath before I put it back together.
Looks like I will have to pull the seal out and put in a new one. Lucky I have a complete reseal kit for the NP 435 I bought years ago.

Still looking for the pig tail harness for the back up light switch.
I got my pig tail at Carquest. "Ford Backup Light Harness" Check and see if you need a speedi-sleeve when you install the new seal.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Stuffed the trans and transfer case back in the truck this afternoon. Transmission was a breeze took me maybe 10 minutes. The transfer cases was a little harder but nothing major. A good transmission jack makes all the difference in the world! I should have bought one 20 years ago, I always struggled with floor jacks and cheap trans jacks barrowed from friends. Put the crossmember in cleaned up all my tools and called it a day.

Got to reinstall the driveshafts, speedo, wire up the back up lights when the pig tail comes in , and fill both up with fluids.

What weight oil for the trans and transfer case? I have always used 75-95W or 85-95W gear oil in both but I am open to suggestions. I wont touch it again until Monday hopefully by the end of next week its all buttoned up and on the road again with no leaks!