• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer Case Slipping out of gear

gebraic

What would cause or fix my Dana 20 transfer case from slipping out of 2 high when I drive? I just bought the bronco and have had to drive it in 4 high because of this and also how can I fix it to make it shift easier into gear?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
More than likely your detent springs are worn. As for easier shifting if you have a J-shift transfer case twin stick will make wonders on shifting.

OP
OP
G

gebraic

thanks for the advice i saw that twin stick shifter on WH i think i might have to get that

YellowBronc

Bronco God
More than likely your detent springs are worn. As for easier shifting if you have a J-shift transfer case twin stick will make wonders on shifting.

I'll second that opinion. It worked for me!

natureboy300

Loc.
livermore
doesnt seem to pertain to your situation, but they make an updated set of gears for t-shift dana 20's that keep it from popping out of gear, but its for popping out of 4 low....just thought id post for people doing searches.

NB

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Check the rear output before you start throwing money at it.
If there is any wobble in your rear output, it will work the sliding gear out of position, sliding it toward neutral.
If you can get ANY wobble out of your output pull it out and reset the pre-load.
Jon

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
Check the rear output before you start throwing money at it.
If there is any wobble in your rear output, it will work the sliding gear out of position, sliding it toward neutral.
If you can get ANY wobble out of your output pull it out and reset the pre-load.
Jon

On a twin stick setup, will this condition cause the front drive to pop into the neutral position or the other lever? (my problem is keeping the front drive engaged) (!!!!)

D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
thanks for the advice i saw that twin stick shifter on WH i think i might have to get that

I would look into the JB Fab units. They are all SS, super cool boot and very nice. Price is better than some of the other vendors....you can find them on ebay or buy from him directly. I am sure if you PM him, he can direct you to the easiest way to score one of his fine units....he even offers free, solid advice.... I would still buy the twicn sticks if you are going to wheel the Bronco. DO a search on twin sticks...alot of potential advantages.