• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transfer case sticking?

dave p

1970 t type transfer case and Advanced Adapter to a new AOD transmission. I rebuilt the transfer case and engine and while running the engine for the initial seating the front u-joint on the transfer would sporadically engage and disengage. Both the front and rear were in neutral on the transfer case. and it would do it not matter what gear the transmission was in. any Ideas before I tear down the transfer case. Thanks for the help.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like parasitic drag, probably not a problem at all.
I assume there is no driveline attached?
To prove it set up a bungie cord to keep it from turning, or something that would not be dangerous if it is really engaging.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with Jon, probably just the idler shaft slinging oil at the sliding gear on the front output shaft. If I were to guess, it could just be due to too much oil in the case, higher oil viscosity and/or low temperatures. FWIW, my tractor does something similar with the PTO...it spins all the time whether it's engaged or not, but when it's not engaged, you can slow or stop it with your toe of your boot, indicating it's just oil drag on the geartrain.

OP
OP
D

dave p

Thanks I did try to hold it with my bare hand, just the shaft no yoke on it. I was able to hold it for a second or two then it would start rotating. Also forgot to mention it was making quit a bit noise mainly while rotating.