• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfercase and tranny

johnny_nv

Loc.
Toronto, Canada
Hey Everyone, Summer is right around the corner. looking forward to getting those tops off??

Anyways, My bronco is leaking here and there and everywhere.
So i found a newly rebuilt transfer case/tranny.
I have a 68 Bronco, 289, 3 on the tree,
this combo is out of a 75 , 3 on the floor. engine must be a 289 or 302.

If I swap, do I HAVE to convert to a floor shift???
If i convert, is it a big job?
Can i keep my current 3 on the tree steering column??

thanks in advance
Johnny

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All Broncos came column shift. Floor shift is an aftermarket conversion.
You can keep the column shift. You are replacing stock parts with stock parts. You will need the shift rods and shift levers off the existing transmission.

I do have to confirm, V8 replacing an existing V8? If so no problem.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You will be changing from a T Shift transfer case to a J shift transfer case. This means you will need the J shift lever assembly and shift boot and its mounting plate. The holes in the floor for the J shift will be different than the t shift shift lever. You will have different output yolks on the transfer case so you will have to deal with that issue too. I don't know if there are conversion u-joints or you have to swap the yolks on the transfer case.

OP
OP
J

johnny_nv

Loc.
Toronto, Canada
HMMM VERY INTERESTING. thanks guys. always appreciated. I have a spare tranny and transfer case shell. Can i order a rebuild kit (for either or both) for those from somewhere??