• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission and 5.0 Problems...Help!

Wildcat

ok so i was sitting in the emissions line and was notified that a ton of fluid was leaking from the bottom of my 74 bronco in the transmission area. as i was driving home i heard popping sounds from the bottom of my bronco and my car had trouble accelerating. when i got home, i couldn't start the car in 2H anymore, only in 4H and 4L. but now my car is off and i can't shift to 4H and 4L so I can't start my car at all.

second...i have a 5.0 EFI HO setup and ran the codes. i got codes 35, 51, 53, 54 which deal with the ECA and emissions. but after my bronco cooled down, i ran the codes again and none of them appeared. please help because i don't know much about mechanicals yet. thanks!

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=Wildcat link=board=5;threadid=21367;start=0#msg164447 date=1061792068]
ok so i was sitting in the emissions line and was notified that a ton of fluid was leaking from the bottom of my 74 bronco in the transmission area. as i was driving home i heard popping sounds from the bottom of my bronco and my car had trouble accelerating. when i got home, i couldn't start the car in 2H anymore, only in 4H and 4L. but now my car is off and i can't shift to 4H and 4L so I can't start my car at all.

second...i have a 5.0 EFI HO setup and ran the codes. i got codes 35, 51, 53, 54 which deal with the ECA and emissions. but after my bronco cooled down, i ran the codes again and none of them appeared. please help because i don't know much about mechanicals yet. thanks!
[/quote]

This is really confusing. "I couldn't start the car" What? You couldn't get the engine running? or you couldnt get the truck to move under its own power. Tell us more about the transmission, Stick or automatic?. What kind of fluid was leaking? ATF, 90W or other? If the codes have cleared then don't worry about them, they are not likely related to your geartrain problems.

~BH

OP
OP
W

Wildcat

sorry bout the confusion...when i got home, i couldn't get the engine running. it sounded like an ignition problem. i think that the problem has to deal with the trouble codes because when the codes left, the car engine could start up again. i have an automatic and i have no clue what kind of fluid was leaking from the bottom of the car. thanks!

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
trans fluid is red in color, anti freeze is green in color, oil well you know oil is suppose to be brownish, right?...unless its really dirty then its black!....DOnt know about the not starting part unless it had ran hot some type way?
Ben

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Transfer case ranges have nothing to do with being able to start the engine. What trans do you have, C-4?