• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tremec TKO?

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
I have an upgraded Tremec TKO 500 (now 750 spec) that is just laying in the garage. It seems the three possible shifter locations would make this excellent in my 72, and I know these were originally truck transmissions, question is, what would I need to adapt the tail end to a transfer case, and would the D20 work?

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
The TKO is a after market 5 speed. It was built for a hot rod mustang that ford never built, its designed after the ford 4 speed toploader. Tremec now had the tooling and started to sell it in the after market. The problem with it is the over drive is in the tail shaft housing remove the tail shaft no more over drive.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The other issue is the first gear ratio. Not sure about yours Ourobos, but weren't many of them in the 2.99 - 3.25 : 1 range?

Not that this is a deal-breaker, as that's very close to the original 3-spd Bronco trans ratios, but when many EB owners are upgrading the trans, one of the goals is a lower first gear.
If yours is lower, that's great. But then you run into the other issue red hot mentioned.

There was an adapter for the old World Class T5's back when, but as common and easy to find as those trannies were, they just weren't a good substitute for a truck trans.
Don't remember hearing of anyone installing a TKO before.

Be cool to try though.
Well, be cool for someone else to try anyway! ;)

Paul