• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trim Removal

CrazyHorse72

Loc.
Pennsville, N.J.
I have to remove all of the "sport" trim from my '71 for painting. Any tips, tricks, or things to watch out for? The chrome around the door windows looks difficult to do without bending it. Also, on one of the EB web sites a while back I saw a trim removal tool....but I can't find it now. Anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks,
Bill

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
The only tool you need to get that off the doors is the " TIME " tool. It takes a long time to get it off and even longer to get it off and still have it straight. It isn't very often I get impatient taking something apart but that trim BEAT ME. After the first piece I just ripped it off and threw it away :( :mad: ;D

OP
OP
CrazyHorse72

CrazyHorse72

Loc.
Pennsville, N.J.
I thought so!

It looks like its going to be a PAIN! Its in such good shape though I would hate to ruin it and buy another set. I may just leave it on and tape it off.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
There are others here who have had better luck than me. You can't buy new trim only used so anything you buy may not be perfect either. Keep this thread up near top and someone will help you out. Try a search for " sport trim " and see if anything pops up.

OP
OP
CrazyHorse72

CrazyHorse72

Loc.
Pennsville, N.J.
2badrotties said:
There are others here who have had better luck than me. You can't buy new trim only used so anything you buy may not be perfect either. Keep this thread up near top and someone will help you out. Try a search for " sport trim " and see if anything pops up.

Will do! Thanks!

fasteddie

Loc.
Colorado Springs
You have to remove it if you are going to repaint. Patience sounds like the key. I have never removed the chrome on an Early Bronco, but have on other 60's vehicles (Chevys) and having the proper mind frame, can save money and make a world of difference on restorations. Just my thoughts, good luck. I just wish I had the chrome!!

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
i've done one full set of trim. pateince is the key. and 2bad is right. the door window trim is the hardest and most imte intensive by far. due to the way it is crimped on. all the other stuff is pretty straightforward.

one thing you might find helpful is to look at the retaining clips/methods for each of the different areas and get an understanding of how it was attached. dennis carpenter has all of the replacement clips for sale.

some will just pull off or out. some will slide. some needs to be worked carefully and removed. im really not sure i can provide any further details. i didnt take many notes on that. just knew the stuff was expensive and did my best to preserve it. based on the results, i feel i was successful.

best i can say is think about what you are doing. think about how it was originally put on and use as little force as necessary. if its not happeneing and you are getting frustrated, stop and come back to it.

at some point, i did a post on how to remove door trim, it took my quite a while, but the stuff looks great. if you are stuck when you get that far, post your details.

OP
OP
CrazyHorse72

CrazyHorse72

Loc.
Pennsville, N.J.
Thanks Weps!

I figured it is going to take some time. And it seems that patience is the only trick. The walking away part is a MUST for me, and I will keep that in mind. I searched a couple of the old posts...and every post has the word "PATIENCE" :-X

OP
OP
CrazyHorse72

CrazyHorse72

Loc.
Pennsville, N.J.
Hey Weps, I noticed you are in PA. Do you know of anywhere in the tri-state area that does Chrome Plating? The only place I knew of in Delaware is not in business anymore.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On the beltline chrome trim that wraps around the body....I got a putty knife. You can pry from the bottom in an upward motion and usually it will snap off of the clips. I wouldn't worry so much about the clips either. I bought all new ones from a local part / paint supply house that were around 20 bucks for all of them, i'll check to see if I have the part #. Jeff's wants like $2.00 -$3.00 per clip. The paint supply house has them cheap, so go that route. After getting the trim off...I just pushed out/ drilled out the remaiing clip so that I had only the trim clip holes now showing. They are ready for new clips now after painting. There were two or three different kinds of clips on the belline trim, some for the edges, some for the tailgate ends and others that were used all over . I just went back with the (little airplane propeller) shaped ones everywhere and they worked 100 %.

The Sport Emblems you can easily pry off starting at top and then a little at bottom and so on. They are held on by small barrel clips I got from Jeff's this time. Couldn't find them locally.

The windshield and hardtop chrome/ aluminum trim pretty much just pulls right out if you are gonna remove it. If you do remove it...You need to install it back in the rubber twindow trim before putting it, and the glass back in. I have found it almsot impossible to just pull the trim out of the rubber, and then put it back in. It is shaped like a "J" and hooks on there .

The Door Window trim is a big pain in the ass. looks like you can just pry open those little folded over aluminum pieces, but if you've already tried to get the trim off...you know this won't work. I have taken abot 3 sets off so far and none have been easy. I used a 3" metal putty knife to get mine off. Its all about prying a little and them twisting a little, prying some more. I also used a small 1" putty knife to slide under the parts that I had started to get off, while I carefully pryied some more. Once you get it off, even if you booger the edges up a little...you can pyut them back on(after painting) and hit them with a rubber mallot to make the pry marks go down.

The grill letters have barrel clips, which twist off like a nut. Be careful not to twist them to hard or the pins will break off.

The grill chrome/aluminum trim is a little tough too. If you can...tape it off and paint around it. But if you must take it off you can try and get to the nuts on the back side of the grill. You will have trouble getting some of them off, plus..it is tight behind there. I did mine with the grill off and just broke the clips off and replaced them with clips from Jeff's(fairly inexpensive for the grill clips) The tril clips slide into the trim channel and you can slide them over wherever you want to meet up with the pre-drilled holes that are already there. Let me know if you need any help, or if anything doesn't make sense.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes,

Hope that helps,

Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No..it was from a local auto paint store, but I think the brand is a national brand that everyone carries. It is called Au-ve-co. They were like .60 cents each, but I even got them cheaper since I bought a whole box of 50. Part # 2619 they are listed for Chrysler and Universal. They are the same size and fasten the same as the old plastic ones that came off. NAPA also has some in a 4 pack that are made by BALKAMP part #665-1917 that work too, but are more expensive and I couldn't get them in bulk. I'll post a pic of them for you on the "Chrome trim Post" in a few minutes. You'll have to get the nuts that go with them too, and they were cheap. Mine say part # 16770, but not sure if they are Au-ve-co or not. Your paint shop where you get the clips should know what nuts go with the clips. Hope that helps. Alan & Micheal Stark AStark and MStark on the board here led me on to this company so I have to give him and Micheal his son some credit. They helped me find these. They may haveused a slightlu different part #, but these work as well.

Blue71

Attachments

• Img_0116.jpg
    Img_0116.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 36
  • Img_0117.jpg
    Img_0117.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Img_0118.jpg
    Img_0118.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Img_0120.jpg