• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trouble shooting fuel gauge outage

G

Anyone know the bst way to troubleshoot why my my fuel gauge won't read either tank no? It stopped reading both tanks with in a week of each other. i.e. what ohms should the sender read full and empty, any way to bypass the swith etc.?

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Check the black ground wire that runs from the sending unit at the tank to the frame crossmember. If it's broken or corroded you'll get bad or no readings at the guage. The Orange/black wire carries the voltage from the guage to the sending unit, so make sure you've got at least 8-9 volts on it with the key on.

acnflorida

any idea what the ohms readings are for the gauge in case I have to buy an aftermarket guage? will a standerd autometter fuel gauge for a ford work?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
[quote author=acnflorida link=board=5;threadid=12109;start=0#89688 date=1039406343]<br> Will a standard autometer fuel gauge for a Ford work?<br>[/quote]<br>Yes.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
If it's a 73, I believe that both tanks run a separate circuit. Anyone know for sure?<br><br>snake