• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tub questions: laser & e-coat welds

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
1. Purchased Dewalt laser to check panels. What are areas I should check ?

2. Researched welding new panel seams painted with e coat or weld thru primer. A lot of ideas out there but majority seems to be sand weld area to bare metal, weld, seal seam. The auto manufacturers have different recommendations so obviously not settled issue, and seems alittle “backasswards” to pay for primer and sand off, but understand argument on weld quality. What are y’all doing ?

Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1) I have a version of that laser. Don't really see a use for body work. I can use mine to make a flat plane to measure down to. Probably start with leveling the chassis, then check the mounts and work from there.

2) my understanding is to sand/grind the E-coat at the weld point. Apply weld through primer. And do like the name states, weld through the primer. When done, seam sealer. The weld through primer is just for the welding spots, not whole panel use.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks Broncobowsher. I needed the laser for construction project but had read how folks used in tub build, just couldn’t figure out how, other than maybe shooting down side panels.

I’m using spot welder on seams. Thanks for info.

ShoeSlinger

I just watched one of the top paint/body shops do a large repair. They have the ability to build/repair anything and used a lot of 3M p2-part panel bond. They said no rust issues, plenty of work time, and they used sheet metal screws to hold the floor boards in place. Then just quick mig on the screw holes the next day. Floor boards looked the cleanest I have seen on a replacement.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've known of the panel bond for large low stress panels (truck bed sides), but not the structural stuff. At least in the repair/home area. In manufacturing where conditions can be held just right there is some structural use of panel bond. I would not try using panel bond at home on anything that is structural. Too many unseen variables. Is the E-coat compatible with the bond? I remember a windshield issue once where the adhesive stuck to the painted body but the paint separated and the glass popped out. Manufacturing checks all those boxes that you don't even know exist.