• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tub removal with overhead hoist, where to fasten the cables

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After bracing the door openings, where are "safe points" to attach cables for a four-point attach?
Where is NOT a safe place?
Nose is off, tailgate and roof too.
Reamer

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I need to ask if there is any rust or other damage to consider?
What will you do with the body after it comes off the frame? That can affect the choice location of the picking points as well.

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
After I braced my tub I used the seat bolt holes ( the ones that are in the supports ) and w/ a engine hoist and one of those engine leveling contraptions.I have moved it around a few times w/o incident.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My tub was pretty solid. I welded door braces at the tops of the door posts on the seams. I welded a cross member across the tub from the door post braces 6 inches ahead of the rear posts. I lifted it from a single point in the center of that cross member. It was very close ot the ballance point. The front tub was still attached.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I know the one attachment to the loop for the passenger side seat (the loop that is mounted to the floor for the hook on the passenger seat) will work, you will just need a few tag lines to balance it while most of the weight is on that point.

I hooked chains to 4 points on the base of the roll cage in an X, 2 up front and 2 at the rear.

I've done it a few different methods...

Attachments

• body_only[1].jpg
    body_only[1].jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00373.JPG
    DSC00373.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01052.JPG
    DSC01052.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
I used the six body mount holes in the tub. I had cables with turnbuckles to try to get it balanced. I also hooked something to the core support on the front. No real weight on that part, just to help keep it all balanced. Ended up working good enough to do the job. Next time I'll rig it all a little farther forward.

Bronco%20-%20Tub%20Removal-019.jpg

Bronco%20-%20Tub%20Removal-038.jpg

Phoenix0783

I used the holes below the cowl and two bolts where the rear seat bolts in. The bar has a collar you can slide back and forth to get the weight even.

2556851007_c390bd1992_o.jpg

79driver

I used the rear stake pockets and the holes for the windshield frame bolts for my straps for balanceing, but the chain that did all the lifting was attached to the main hoop on the roll bar.

brncofinatic

I am also just about ready to take my tube off. Had a question for you all. Are the welded door supports in the above picture neccessary to keep the tube from folding in on itself? Also is it easier to remove the gas tanks before you lift the tube, or take the tanks with the tube.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I am also just about ready to take my tube off. Had a question for you all. Are the welded door supports in the above picture neccessary to keep the tube from folding in on itself? Also is it easier to remove the gas tanks before you lift the tube, or take the tanks with the tube.
Aux tanks are strapped to the tub, remaove it. The stock rear tank is straddled inbetween the frame so it can stay in there when lifting the tub.

Phoenix0783

Definitely.