• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tube and Pipe benders (JD2 vids up)

Whichtype of bender do you use?

• [URL="http://www.jd2.com/m3b.htm"]JD2 Model 3[/URL]

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • [URL="http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm"]Pro-Tools 105[/URL]

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • [URL="http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm"]Build your own with "gottrikes" plans[/URL]

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Pay someone else with a bender to make bends for you

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Which bender do you use?

Building a bender seems simple to do if you have access to a mill to drill the holes...

Paying for one is much easier....

I have to deal with shipping which cost too much to get to me.....

Last edited:

Amac70

ME
I have a pro tools but if i was to do it again i would probably just build one with one of the various plans that are out there. Then just have to buy the dies. The dies arn't going to be cheap to ship either. They probably wieght 40-50 lbs by themselves.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I have the JD2 Model 3 bender. It has been used to build 2 'moon buggies' and 4 roll cages... all by my friends! I have yet to personally use it. But I am extremely impressed with how simple and precise it can be. The nice thing about the JD one is they sell a kit to add a ram and take the back breaking work out of the process. But for the most part one could build the same thing themselves if you had plans or blueprints.

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
I have the Pro-Tools with the ram and the air over hyd kit. I wouldnt want to try and do the bending manually as it is enough of a pain to get the planes of bend equal without having to pull on a big assed bar to bend it also.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I cast my vote for the JD2, but I actually have the Model 4 with an electro-hyudraulic ram.

Works great, but it seems by buddies (Broncoloupy in particular) know how to use it better than I do since they always have it!

handsomerob

Loc.
las cruces
I have the pro 105 with a ram on it. I have built 4 cages with it and I works great. Was a pain in the ass to bend dom until I installed the ram tough LOL

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pro-Tools 105HD, manual setup, works great can be a bit of work on the 2" x 1/8" wall DOM. Air over and/or hydro is the way to go for versatility as the bender doesn't need to be anchored anywhere, making it mobile. I've seen guys pour a small concrete pad out by their driveways too so that it doesn't clutter and/or block the garage.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Can someone give me the plate thickness of the JD2 bender stand, top plate and bottom plate?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
How much pressure does it take to bent pipe not tubing ..Any thoughts

I don't think that can be accuratly answered..?:?

It would all depend on the OD and wall thickness, not to mention the length of the lever arm, dia. of the ram cylinder, etc. assuming you are refering to hydraulic pressure.

If you are refering the the yield point of the material itself, that would be dependant on the size and metalurgical makeup that would provide its resistance to bending.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
How much pressure does it take to bend pipe not tubing ..Any thoughts
A little more pull than bending DOM tubing of the same size... I wonder why?
Good to have a long cheater bar...

[youtube]ja_ffV7CidI[/youtube]

[youtube]vzd_XkZyH54[/youtube]

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I would think that DOM of the same size would be a bit harder to bend since it is work hardened a bit from the drawing process which results in a bit higher tensile & yield.

Generally, pipe is a bit heavier wall than most DOM than I've seen normally used for cages.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here is another vid in the daylight using a short handle...

[youtube]xkUV07FfTng[/youtube]

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Mad - I don't see any need for hydro power for your bender. Your's looks like it is bending easily for you as is!!!!!

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking good Mad. You may already have everything you need considering your line of work, but now you'll be coming up with a bunch of little tools and angle finders to help you get you angles just right and in the right plane.

bludorbronc

It looks like in the video that when you are done making the bend that the tube is still stuck in the die and you are tring to pound out the horse shoe pin.When done first loosen the bolt holding tube in place,if still stuck use a rubber hammer and hit part of bender containing pin that goes thru main die at outer tip away from tube. This should dislodge tube,sometimes a simple shake of bender arm will do it so you dont have to beat on pins.