• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tuff spot on 4x4x2 box

marklc

Contributor
Just hooked my lower steering shaft up and was spinning the wheel back and forth. Gets tuff about midway then smooth again. I have nothing hooked to the box yet no hoses or linkages. Is this normal with no fluid in it? I bought it several years ago and just getting to it now. Wondering if I got a bad box or this is normal.
Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Steering boxes are supposed to have slightly more resistance in the center, but it could also be torqued down too much. You'll have to get an inch pound torque wrench to check it correctly, but you can loosen the sector shaft adjuster on the top of the box to your liking. You should really use the torque wrench though.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Im thinking its too tight. I have a rebuilt 4X4X2 box sitting on a shelf. I just put a pitman arm on it and rotated it lock to lock by hand and didnt notice any "rough" spots. Not saying mine is right and yours is wrong. But in order set set the torque properly, you need to take rotation torque readings at the steering wheel nut. You move that reading up or down by adjusting the screw on top of the box. I'll see if I can find the torque number.