• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tuffy Speaker Box Q's...

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Gang,

This whole Tuffy mass buy has got me pretty excited. I’m already picking up a center console so that I can finally install a stereo in my EB. Since the prices for the Tuffy products are so good I was thinking about purchasing a set of the 6x9 rear speaker boxes too. I have done some searching on past threads and found quite a bit of quality info, however, I still have some questions for those of you with the rear speaker boxes.

First, since I have a manual on the floor, I probably cannot put the dual speaker center box up front so my question is how do your speakers sound if you just have 6x9’s in the back? I figure they should be more than adequate as I remember a buddy of mine had an old Toyota FJ with waterproof marine speakers just resting in the back corner’s and they had PLENTY of power to hear the music over the roar of the engine.

Second, do the rear speaker boxes really fit THAT well above the wheel well? From the reading I did (by searching) and the pictures I saw, they seemed to look alright but I was wondering if they stuck up above the body much?

Third, how hard is the install? Meaning, how difficult is it to run the wires under the carpets? That also goes for the stereo itself? Is it a pretty easy install?

Lastly, could anyone recommend some decent but somewhat moderately priced speakers? Ben (the one organizing the mass purchase) said that “some of the higher end models with the larger magnets and or larger surrounds do not fit”. That being said, I’d like to get some recommendations on speakers that some of you have in your EB’s.

Sorry for the mega question list but I know that if anyone can help, it’s all of you :)

~ Josh

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Here's a pic of my rear speaker box installed on top of the wheel well. It fits just fine and makes a good armrest. Mine sit a bit forward in order to clear my family cage.

RearSpeaker.jpg

Jimmyjames

Loc.
Romulus, AL
I am getting the speaker boxes on the mass buy and I am looking to do an install like you are talking about. Radio in the console and 2 6x9 speakers in the back. I cant really answer any of your questions butt look forward to seeing what everyones replys will be.

Also how expensive are the marine speakers and where can you get them?

Jimmyjames

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Also how expensive are the marine speakers and where can you get them?
I wish I could tell you, Jimmyjames. This was well before I purchased my EB so I really didn't pay much attention to what brand they were or where you could get them. I just remember that they were some kind of waterproof speaker (already in a generic box from the factory) that he didn't have to care about but sounded awesome.
I suppose if you called up your local Mastercraft/Fourwinns store you could ask them for advice, as for me, I'm pretty much useless :)

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Marine Speaker Searchers!!!!!

Guys!

Go to www.crutchfield.com and check out their marine speakers. They sell Bazooka brand Marine grade speakers, Clarion, Pioneer, and a couple lesser named ones. If you don't find what you are looking for there, check at www.westmarine.com and they have some too.

Both Crutchfields and West Marine are great companies whose ability to ship fast and supply quality products always amaze!

I will be doing the same, but am looking to put some 6" into my roll cage between the overhead spreaders. I am thinking of fabing my own boxes for the rear, but not too sure right now!

highgeer

Loc.
Denver, CO
Slumlord said:
Lastly, could anyone recommend some decent but somewhat moderately priced speakers? Ben (the one organizing the mass purchase) said that “some of the higher end models with the larger magnets and or larger surrounds do not fit”. That being said, I’d like to get some recommendations on speakers that some of you have in your EB’s.

Josh - I have the 6x9 boxes and I have Cerwin-Vega 6903 speakers. They were a very tight fit, but they worked. My recommendation would be to buy the speakers after you buy the boxes.

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
Heres my 6x9's mounted in the quarter panels. Theyre Sony Xplod's and with the Xplod single CD player and they sound really really good. Just have to blast yourself out on the freeway to hear.

seatbeltmod.jpg

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Hey gang,

Thanks for those who have posted, I've gotton some great info from ya'll!

DownhillManiac99 - What model Sony's do you have and how do they fit? I looked for highgeer's Cerwin's, but I had a hard time finding them. I'm honestly just looking for "Cheap and good" and from what I remember, those Xplod's were both.

Suggestions?

highgeer

Loc.
Denver, CO
Those Cerwin-Vega 6903 are a few years old now. You probably won't find them retail, but I'm sure there's some used on eBay.

I would wait until you get the speaker boxes, then head over to a Best Buy or your preferred stereo shop, and just test fit all the speakers that you like.