• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tunnel Cutout for the ZF5 install questions

AZ69EB

I’m getting ready to have my tub sprayed with a bed liner next week. I'm planning on adding a ZF5 later this year. It's been taking up space on the floor.

Currently my bronco has a C4 with the Wild Horses 1” over stock frame mounting bushing to help with clearance issues. I’m planning on purchasing the BC’s Broncos ZF install kit including the new cross member bracket.

I would like to cut the tunnel and make a cover for the ZF5 prior to having the tub sprayed next week.

Doe anyone have pictures and dimensions of their ZF5 install with a D20 transfer case.

I’m not sure if I will use the a new Twin Stick or the old T Shifter.

I would like to see pictures of both options if possible.

Thanks for all the help.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I ended up cutting the whole middle out but I also put a doubler in and shoved the drivetrain almost flat. What I would do is to cut the center top section out and make it removable so you can make a new panel when you are ready and arent cutting up your freshly lined floor. Here are a couple pics of mine.

Oops looks like my contributor status expired...gimme a min...

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I'm in the process of putting in a ZF also. Here are some pics that I have collected over the fall.

Attachments

• 33jq0e8.jpg
    33jq0e8.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 152
  • zf 03.jpg
    zf 03.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 136
  • zf 01.jpg
    zf 01.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 131
  • zf 05.jpg
    zf 05.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 118
  • zf 04.jpg
    zf 04.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 143
OP
OP
A

AZ69EB

Tito,

How much integrity do you lose when you cut the front tunnel support where the ZF5 shifter comes through?

Is this something to worry about?

Siderbox,

Was the blue bronco running the 205 t-case?

Does the diamond-plated bronco have the D20?

Wow, the T-shifter looks to be moved way back.

Everyone, please keep them coming! This helps a lot.

OP
OP
A

AZ69EB

Titto,

How do you like having the ZF5?

Anyone else would like to chime in with pictures or how they like their ZF5?

siderbox

Bronco Guru
That does look like a 205.

Not sure about the diamond one.

Looking at the bracket that came with the AA kit I got. It looks to go where the case and tail housing meet. So that would look to put the case shifter back alittle.

I can get some measurements off of mine tomorrow. I have the a dummy block and the ZF setting in the frame.
Kinda like this pic

Attachments

• zf 09.jpg
    zf 09.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 77

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks like it will take a few days for my check to clear but if you click in my sig you can see pics from the install towards the end. Very happy with the zf, still working on the shifter, have to change its angle, its in my lap in second.

6daze

I love my ZF, not the best daily driver due to the way low 1st gear....but it is there when you need it.

Mine ended up a bit hacked. I was trying to cut as little as possible. What was difficult was getting the shifter stub up through the hole. It would have been much easier with the motor out. If your body is off the frame, set it on after you put the tranny in.

I started with a 3 speed floor shifter and a T shift 20 so I had a huge hole on the side and a hole on the top to cover up. With a WH 1" body lift the shifter boot barely covers the stub.

I would 2nd Tito's thoughts and make a removable cover. I have a pic on the other computer of a slick one. I think it went from the firewall to floorboard. It created an angle so more of the shifter stub was covered.

First pic was my "plan"...

Oh yeah, my atlas shifters are sticking out the old floor shifter hole.;D

Attachments

• new tunnel.jpg
    new tunnel.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 76
  • shifter hole side.JPG
    shifter hole side.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 87
  • sifter hole rear.JPG
    sifter hole rear.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 86

Red steed

Loc.
Taylorsville N.C.
Here's a pic of mine. I cut a hole just big enough to be able to get the trans in to start with and it was a pain. Later I went back and cut it out enough to be able to get it in and out and made a cover big enough to cover the whole thing.

Attachments

• ZF cover 004.jpg
    ZF cover 004.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 94

fordtrucksrule

with mine i olnyt did a 1 inch body lift because i knew i wanted a zf 5 speed its not manitiory BUTT it made the install a lil easier

Huskerbronco

Loc.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Tito,

How much integrity do you lose when you cut the front tunnel support where the ZF5 shifter comes through?

Is this something to worry about?

Siderbox,

Was the blue bronco running the 205 t-case?

Does the diamond-plated bronco have the D20?

Wow, the T-shifter looks to be moved way back.

Everyone, please keep them coming! This helps a lot.

The blue bronco is mine and yes it is a 205 t-case. I also have a 2" body lift and that made the installation much easier. The body lift helps to tuck the transmission higher above the frame rails without cutting a huge hole in the tunnel.

When I installed mine I removed the shifter from the top of the trans. Otherwise the shifter stub gets in the way. Also when the shifter was out I heated up and bent the shifter stub to get the shifter position I wanted.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Huskerbronco
Hope you don't mind I saved pics of your bronco.;D

fordtrucksrule
That's a hell'a Bronc you got there.

Red steed
I really like the cover you made!

fordtrucksrule

thanks i just got done with the zf swap and i will tell you i love it and i will never look back

Red steed

Loc.
Taylorsville N.C.
Mine has a 1" body lift too. It helps clear everything a little better. I cut the shifter stub on mine and laid it back to clear the dash then welded it back up. This also helped with using the stock shifter. It's got dust all over it in the pic from where I just finished replacing the P-side floor board. The ZF trans works great for me. I'm running a 351W and I'm geared 4.10 so the 5th gear helps on gas mileage.

OP
OP
A

AZ69EB

Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. I decided to cut off the top of my tunnel to help with ease of the install. This should provide an easy access to both the ZF and transfer case if needed in the future. I will make the cover and have it sprayed seperate. I plan on using nut zerks on to fasten the cover.

Do I need to cut an extra hole for the clutch master cylinder? If so, can someone post a picture of the location from the inside of the tub?

I would like to do all modifications prior to having my tub sprayed next week.

Again, thanks again for all the help.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Do I need to cut an extra hole for the clutch master cylinder? If so, can someone post a picture of the location from the inside of the tub?

Yes a new hole is necessary.
Here is the best pic I have showing its approximate location. (bottom of pic)

Attachments

• DSCN3118.JPG
    DSCN3118.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 65