• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trans Tunnel/Firewall Boot ideas???

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, I know it's hard to tell from that pic...there is so much going on and then the boot that's on there is covering things up.

When the console slides all the way forward, the threads from the cable ends for the D20 shifter are right there and since that's how I asked Dan Carr to design my console, that's what he did (and did perfectly), it was just a really tight fit to do so and also because of that, there is no way to get to those cables very easily. I took them off the shifters when I had the console on my bench and it was a royal pain, I think I had to unbolt the shifter from underneath the console, so I don't even want to try.

I'll post a final pic that's easier to see once the dash is all bolted up and I can scoot the console forward.

Thanks all for all the ideas!

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
would be perfect if I could only find one that was a split boot. That’s the problem. I searched and searched for the right boot when I had it apart and couldn’t find one to fit the space and the cables properly and then I thought the one I got would be great, but didn’t realize the angle would make it not work.

I cannot remove those cables.

What I ended up making if better than an accordion boot in the end. Cause it’ll collapse and seal better bring fiberglass and silicone and 500° heat resistance…although won’t get that hot.
VW transaxle split boot?

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I thought about a split cv boot but they don’t mount to a flat surface like a firewall.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ahh, I actually did find a marine (TH Marine) boot that was similar and I bought it hoping but I think the fact that it’s round and how it comes together with several cables makes it not fit as well. Oval or rectangular. I really think I did the only possible solution. I wasted so much time on this but I think it’s a great thread in case anyone else runs into something similar.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The other problem with boots like that is they are SO rigid.

I tried a boot from JJ's Hot Rods and wish I used one of those when I had the cable off and I also wish they made a split boot. The things felt so lice and supple and would have worked great. Just like the Seals-It Seals, they seem like great quality.

Not sure why Seals-It doesn't make a split actual boot. They do make split a split seal or two but they seems weird to me and I'm not confident but maybe I should've tried those. I have their regular ones for my coil wiring and my main engine harness. They are top notch.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Could you not take a boot (post #24 by @brono italiano) , split it and cut a wedge from what would be the bottom and fold it down together over th cables? You could drill a series of small holes along each side of the split and lace it together? Then the flange of the boot could be fastened to the firewall.
Just throwing that out there as a possibility, even if it seem stupid.

Randy

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA