• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turn signal doesn't cancel

nrramse

One recurring problem on mine is the turn signal switch. Are others having this problem too? I only seem to get a few months of use before the plastic breaks, and then the cancel stops working.

I've got a brand new switch in the garage and am thinking of using a dremel to grind off some plastic so that the detents aren't so stiff. I would love to hear what others have done though. Is there an aftermarket upgrade that I can do? I want to keep my stock steering column.

Thanks, Newell

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Is your steering wheel stock or aftermarket (like Grant)?

The Grant hubs use a narrow roll pin that's really hard on the barbs of the cancel tabs. If that's what's happening, you might try fitting a stock cancel cam to the wheel hub, as that one has much gentler lobes on it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

The Grant hubs use a narrow roll pin that's really hard on the barbs of the cancel tabs. If that's what's happening, you might try fitting a stock cancel cam to the wheel hub, as that one has much gentler lobes on it.

This is what I did back in '93 and I've never had to replace the switch for broken arms since then.

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
That's a good suggestion. Guess I'll need to take my wheel apart again so I can put the stock cam back in there.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
OK, real quick hijack (my apologies)... I've been running my stock non-cancelling switch in my '69 since I bought it 6 yrs ago. Is there a way to upgrade to a later model self-cancelling switch? I've got an aftermarket wheel from Tom's (Grant I believe) so would need to get a stock cam I suppose...

End hijack!
Thanks,
Fungus

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
That's a good suggestion. Guess I'll need to take my wheel apart again so I can put the stock cam back in there.

When I first put my Grant on last summer, I would cringe whever the wheel would re-center after a turn: "KLACK-KLACK-KLACK-KLACK!" I knew it would just be a matter of time before those barbs broke off.

Slipped the original cam unit over the end of the Grant hub, removed the stupid roll pins, problem solved.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
OK, real quick hijack (my apologies)... I've been running my stock non-cancelling switch in my '69 since I bought it 6 yrs ago. Is there a way to upgrade to a later model self-cancelling switch? I've got an aftermarket wheel from Tom's (Grant I believe) so would need to get a stock cam I suppose...

End hijack!
Thanks,
Fungus

I thought they were all supposed to self cancel. Maybe the arms are broken.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
My '69 canceled when I bought it. Well, at least in one direction. One of the arms was broken.

OP
OP
N

nrramse

I'm using a stock wheel.

My dad use to have a 77 F250 that broke it cancelling switch too often also. I always figured it was cheap parts, but the last time I replaced mine I got a more expensive piece (I don't recall the vendor) and it still broke :mad:

Newell

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
You may have already tried this, but a bit of white lithium grease on the switch tabs could help them slide past the cam.

robofig

After dealing with the same problems for 10+ years , I just ended up buying a heavy duty, and louder flasher. I can always hear it over the engine and don't forget that it is on.

yak67

Bronco Guru
I thought they were all supposed to self cancel. Maybe the arms are broken.

are they?? I'll find out I guess, just put in a new switch into my '67, but it never has since I bought it.....but like you said, maybe it was just broken

OP
OP
N

nrramse

You may have already tried this, but a bit of white lithium grease on the switch tabs could help them slide past the cam.

Yep - I tried that last time around. I'm sure it helped it last longer, but it still broke eventually.

Newell