• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Turtle carnauba wax paste?

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
Ok so I've never waxed a car before and im going to get my dad to help me in the process. So my friend gave me a little can of turtle carnauba wax paste for Christmas and I wanted to know if this is a good wax. The reviews I've read vary from it sucking to it being the best. It says let it dry to a white haze but no instruction as to how long that will take. So have any of you used this wax and is it
A good wax?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I haven't used the turtle wax, but did use Mother's carnuba deoxidizing wax on my EB after I bought it. The Paint is original and I don't think it had been washed/waxed in 37 years. I was very impressed with the results, and I only did it by hand. After I get the body back on I'm going to use a buffer and some other compounds which will make it even better.

You can see the before and after on the rear fender in the pics below. Its pretty simple really. When you put it on it will dry to a haze then wipe it off. I use the Mr Miagi technique by circles in one direction to apply and opposite direction for removal.

Attachments

• Waxed2.jpg
    Waxed2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Waxed.jpg
    Waxed.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 39

jperry1290

Any wax is better than no wax. Turtle Wax has been around for a long time and has a fairly good rep. I would suggest buying a power buffer to assist with your job as it will make the task much easier. Do small sections at a time in the shade or garage after washing the car. The haze should happen within a few minutes and you will see what appears to be white chalk on the car. You can probably watch a youtube video on this topic. Good luck

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Online reviews of products like automotive wax are highly subjective. If the paint is in good shape, pretty much any wax will make it look better with little effort. If the paint is oxidized and neglected, surface prep is the name of the game. If somebody puts minimal effort into trying to restore a neglected surface, even the best wax won't do the job.

If you're working with the original single-stage paint, a good buffing/polishing compound should be used to cut the oxidation, followed up with a good quality wax. I've never used the Turtle Wax product, but carnuba wax tends to be nice to work with and gives a good shine. Just don't expect it to happen without some effort on your part.

OP
OP

94broncoboy

Loc.
Tulsa oklahoma
I'm fine with the effort. To be honest I like it when I have to work hard with things like this. So should i I do little sections let dry buff and move to a new section or litle section let dry and keep doing that all over the car before I buff?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
don't use a power buffer. use raw arm power and you'll end up with great big, muscular arms, chest and back just like the Governor of California the Terminator.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
DONT use a buffer! Your going to burn your paint!!!! If you know what your doing your ok, but you don't....

I've always used a carnuba wax (Mothers is my preferred brand, but Turtle is a good brand too). Get some cloth diapers (the thin kind) and some of the round waxing pads. Start on the roof and work your way down. I like smaller 2'X3' areas and work my way around.

If the shine doesn't come out, or there's no shine now, you may need to be rubbed out with a good quality rubbing compound. That will be your next lesson....

lil red

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Use Mequirs. Paint cleaner, clay it, wax it, polish it. Then a final spray down with detailer and I promise you you won't believe it is the same paint. I do it to my vehicles once a year. It's a lot of work but wow! I did it to my black '09 FX4 Screw when it was only 2 months old and what a difference. I've used their stuff for 30 years and you can't beat it.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
get yourself some micro fiber towels if you don't have any diapers. you want to be sure what ever you use won't scratch the paint. good towels are cheap, paint damage isn't.

you can find micro fiber towels at any autoparts store, walmart... any place that sells car care products

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just to add something to the mix-The paint and body guy who has painted a couple of ebs for me over the years-working them in between high end street rods is a big fan of black. We had the "discussion" about waxing tech. and he is VERY anti "wax on wax off" circle technique. His rec. is, as has been mentioned, small sections but in 90 degree pattern. Ex. if you rub it on side to side from back to front or front to back then take if off up and down-especially on older paint. I have used this on all my black trucks since '99 and none have developed "swirls" over time. I also use Mothers and Zymol.
FWIW