• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin Stick Advice?

matt w

Bronco Guru
I recently puchased a new twin stick set up from Toms.
...I have a 3 1/2 suspension lift.
......Will I have to cut the floorboard to get the sticks to work?
.......I have been told I will need to drop the t-case to make the mod, is that true?..It seems there is no way around having to drop the case.
...thanks....any other advice?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
You'll LOVE um....just put them in... learn what they do ...you most likely will need to chop the floor since you have that much lift but their worth it...
What kind of wheeling are you doing ..I'd install them 1st use them do i need to drop the transfer case ...only if you only want to pull with the front axle when something goes wrong in the back ..Drive home only on the front ..thats the only reason you drop and split...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You will have to cut the floor some. Whether or not you have to drop it depends on which tcase you have and what you want the twinsticks to give you. If you want it to work just like it does now (4lo, neutral, 4hi, 2hi) and want to shift with two hands then just bolt them on. However if you want access to independant shifting of the front and rear sides (with one hand only) then you need to make some tcase mods. The J can be done in the bronco if you have an access panel to get to the flags. The T needs to come out and get disassembled. If you're going to put lower gears in the tcase this is the time to do it.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
You will have to cut the floor some. Whether or not you have to drop it depends on which tcase you have and what you want the twinsticks to give you. If you want it to work just like it does now (4lo, neutral, 4hi, 2hi) and want to shift with two hands then just bolt them on. However if you want access to independant shifting of the front and rear sides (with one hand only) then you need to make some tcase mods. The J can be done in the bronco if you have an access panel to get to the flags. The T needs to come out and get disassembled. If you're going to put lower gears in the tcase this is the time to do it.

YES..I truly WANT to put lower gears in the case,,
..........but alas seems well over 800.00 ...%) :cry: :cry: ;D ????????????

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru

..hey if I'm doing this..I want ALL THE BENIES!!!..
.......What do you mean by "dropping" the t-case?:eek: ;D ;D ;D

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
I JUST did this 3 days ago. I installed the Tera Low 2lowB in my Dana 20. I ordered the gears from Sam's Offroad, $799 shipped to your door. The cheapest I could find them. It took my 1/2 day to do the mods. I now have a "true" twin stick t-case, as I can shift each independently of the other. Since I use the Bronco for wheeling 99% of the time, I wanted it this way. Actually very straight forward gear replacement to install the low gears. You have to remove the shift rails to install the gears, so when I removed the shift rails, I did not re-install the detent pins. You stated that you had a 3.5 SUSPENSION lift, not body lift. All you need to do is to remove the cross member to lower the t-case, makes installation ALOT easier. I have a 2" body lift, so, I could install the shifters without dropping the t-case if needed. You will not have to cut much out of the floor either for them to work. Without removing the detent pins, the sticks will work, but you CANNOT use them independently.

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
I JUST did this 3 days ago. I installed the Tera Low 2lowB in my Dana 20. I ordered the gears from Sam's Offroad, $799 shipped to your door. The cheapest I could find them. It took my 1/2 day to do the mods. I now have a "true" twin stick t-case, as I can shift each independently of the other. Since I use the Bronco for wheeling 99% of the time, I wanted it this way. Actually very straight forward gear replacement to install the low gears. You have to remove the shift rails to install the gears, so when I removed the shift rails, I did not re-install the detent pins. You stated that you had a 3.5 SUSPENSION lift, not body lift. All you need to do is to remove the cross member to lower the t-case, makes installation ALOT easier. I have a 2" body lift, so, I could install the shifters without dropping the t-case if needed. You will not have to cut much out of the floor either for them to work. Without removing the detent pins, the sticks will work, but you CANNOT use them independently.

Thank you!...I forgot about "SAMS"...I know remember I purchased TERA LOW gears from him over 8 years ago for my Jeep!.....

.....what was the gear reduction (ratio) that you ended up getting?

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Thank you!...I forgot about "SAMS"...I know remember I purchased TERA LOW gears from him over 8 years ago for my Jeep!.....

.....what was the gear reduction (ratio) that you ended up getting?

The only ratio available is 3.15:1 Not a huge difference, but, with my NP435 and 4.88 in the diff's, I am around 105:1. Good enough for me.

Hank Dodge

What's the deal with removing the detent pins? I've got the J-shift case that I put a WH twin-stick on and modified the flags. I didn't modify anything inside to this point. Can you detail what effect removing the detents has on things? I'd think that without detents, it would be prone to popping out of gear??

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What's the deal with removing the detent pins? I've got the J-shift case that I put a WH twin-stick on and modified the flags. I didn't modify anything inside to this point. Can you detail what effect removing the detents has on things? I'd think that without detents, it would be prone to popping out of gear??

You don't need to do anything to the J case other than cut the flags. The T style case uses the pills to interlock the rails. The J used the flags to do that. They don't have anything to do with popping out of gear.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I installed the levers from Toms by cuttting an acess panel in the tunnel. If you can reach the attaching bolt you can do it without the panel. Cuttting the J shift cross bar might be a little time consuming. I had to remove the levers at a later date and staighten them. The bend to the left takes out a big chunk of knee room. I used it 1 season and just couldn't take the knee banging anymore. If you're over 6'. or hefty, you may want to check before you install them.

doctourj

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I installed one of these from WH without cutting the floorboard. This was a J shift setup. The cross member under the transfer case had to be removed to allow for enough clearance to allow for installation without cutting the floor. The flags had to be cut to allow for independent movement between front and rear.

I have not used it a lot, but I am still getting used to where the front shifter position needs to be in order to be in neutral. I do have one question regarding this: If I accidentally do leave the front engaged in High without the front hubs locked will this damage anything? Rear L,N, and H are easy to find, but for some reason Front is not. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I installed one of these from WH without cutting the floorboard. This was a J shift setup. The cross member under the transfer case had to be removed to allow for enough clearance to allow for installation without cutting the floor. The flags had to be cut to allow for independent movement between front and rear.

I have not used it a lot, but I am still getting used to where the front shifter position needs to be in order to be in neutral. I do have one question regarding this: If I accidentally do leave the front engaged in High without the front hubs locked will this damage anything? Rear L,N, and H are easy to find, but for some reason Front is not. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

If the hubs are unlocked there is nothing to bind.

I bent my sticks so neutral puts them side by side(front neutral-rear neutral). Easy to just look and see what gears they're in after that.