• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin stick mods -NV3550

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
Happy Thanksgiving all!
I am going to install my NV3550 this weekend and hoping someone can explain the extent of the mods I will need to do to make my twin sticks work.
I have standard JB Fab sticks for T style transfer case and was told I could "modify" them to work....
I purchased the NV3550 bracket and a shoulder bolt from Toms

What modifications am I in for? Bending the sticks? Reaming the holes ? Other?

Thanks in advance

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you referring to making the twin stick work as truly independent shifters for front and rear axles?

The T-shift D20 will only allow the stock selection of gearing. 4LO, rear LO, Neutral, rear HI, 4HI. The interlock pills inside the transfer case will prevent any other gear selection. If you modify the pills (leaving some out, or shaft grinding for pill clearance) you can get the extra ranges of a twin stick. Like front low/rear neutral for those front digs.

If you just bolt a twin stick to a T-shift and do nothing else, the front won't go into range until the rear is already in that range. And you can't take the rear out of gear (change ranges) until the front is in neutral first.

AZ73

Bronco Guru
^X2. Also you'll need to enlarge the hole in your floor for them to come through

OP
OP
B

BucksNBroncs

Loc.
Klamath Falls
I guess my question was a little confusing. What I'm wondering is what are the differences between how the NV3550 (specific) twin stick design and the "standard" ones? What physical mods need to be done to get them to function along side the shifter that will now be next to them?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
From my understanding, the sticks used on a NV3550 are more a kin to the type used on an AOD tranny than the standard three speed type.

I'd give JB Fab a call.
In my experience, those folks are more interested in helping customers than just selling more patrs.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
If they are our shifters, unused, current production we would be happy to swap you the correct ones.
There are more differences than just the bushings.

Feel free to contact me directly?

jonb at jbfab dot net

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Oh... I should mention that we do have pre-modified stainless steel shift-rails that allow twin-stick operation, without the danger of cross-shifting.

And we offer a boot for the NV-3550 / AX-15 combos

Attachments

• NVAX Boots.jpg
    NVAX Boots.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6334.jpg
    IMG_6334.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 37