• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twisted-Off Brake Bleeder Valve/Screw

dalelease

Loc.
Fayetteville
Guys, what is the best way to go about this. Replaced a broken brake line last night, then went to bleed the system. I bought new bleeder valves ahead of time because I knew from three years ago, the last time I attempted this tricky operation, that they needed to be replaced. Well, 3 out of 4 came out, but the rear passenger wheel valve didn't even break free. It just twisted and broke right off inside flush. SWEET MOTHER OF MERCY!! I am sure this has never happened to anybody before, but if it had, what are the options? I still have the original brake configuration on my '69 (4 wheel drums) and they definately need to be gone over from top to bottom. Obviously this bleeder valve, this boil under my skin is the priority here.

Dale

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Just replace the wheel cylinder and be done!;D They are about 16.00
Nothing to it. I would replace both of them at the same time although others may disagree.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
X2. Not worth the time and it's probably due for replacement if the bleeder is rusted in.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Just replace the wheel cylinder and be done!;D They are about 16.00
Nothing to it. I would replace both of them at the same time although others may disagree.

This is what I'd do also....

You could try an ez out but you would most likely just break it or send small shavings into wheel cylinder.... not good!

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I agree with every one, just replace it. not worth the time and they are a cheap item.

Living in the salt belt this is the norm and having one actualy come loose is like winning the lottery.
This is what I do. Clean the crud from around the base of the bleeder,spray with PB Blaster, Find a deep 6 point socket, Have a air hammer with a socket adapter,(WHAT you say you dont have one? Get one they are a GOD send with rusted fasteners) place said air hammer w/socket over bleeder, place a wrench on the socket adapter so that you can turn the socket either way and go to town with the air hammer while SLOWLY turning the socket back and forth SLOWLY till the bond breaks. The impact of the hammer action (1000's of times) is the key
Now your golden.
Brings a smile to my face everytime.

I have also just left it that way on winter rats and the air will work its way out after awhile
but thats "Getto mechanics" you do what you have to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dalelease

dalelease

Loc.
Fayetteville
I wish someone had told me earlier that metal shavings were bad for your wheel cylinder. I used them in my master cylinder to save on brake fluid....

rockbronco66

Loc.
Carlsbad, N.M.
When you get ready to put on the new wheel cylinders remove the bleeder valves and put a tiny amount of antisieze on the threads and I mean tiny about 1 fourth the size of a q-tip end (this stuff gets every where) never put on brake shoes, drums, or pads or else you'll call it anti stop. Lastly if you have a small weak child let them tighten bleeder valves that way shurely a grown man can loosen without breaking. If you notice they are leaking give small child longer wrench and start over.