• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Two purple wires

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I have two purple wires that come from a three prong trailer style plug that go to the rear of the vehicle, i n the same harness as the tail lights and gas tank senders, the problem is that both purple wires are cut at abou tthe tranny cross member from the PO...what are they for? do i need them?

TIA
Grant

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I don't recall any purple wires in my harness. I think someone might have added wires for a fuel pump or lights or trailer or something. :)

OP
OP
grant_71

grant_71

Bronco Guru
They are definelty factory, the third wire in the three prong plug is black and red i believe, which i think is for backup lights...not sure there though, it plugs into the dash wire harness...and the truck is a 71 if it helps.

OP
OP
grant_71

grant_71

Bronco Guru
So what is the brake lamp warning switch? these wires are running toward the rear of the vehicle, and are cut at the tranny cross member....if i recall the brake lights worked before i dissassembled the truck.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
...purple ones were generally brake system warning light......had a TWO pronged connector on the end which attached to the proportioning valve on the dr side frame about mid engine. Connector had 2 prongs to keep it locked into the top of the valve.

If there is another purple application wire , I dont know. I would only worry if it looks like an OEM style plug......or something critical doesnt work.