• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

uncut vs cut fenders

iguanaman1960

Loc.
Nine Mile Falls, Wa
I have a 1966 Ford Bronco Wagon (U15), I want to put bigger tires (15 X 11.50 or 12.50) under it. Looking for some feedback on cutting the fenders to make the room or any modifications I can make or buy. Someone give me the pro's and con's.

Thank you!

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
If you have a straight 66 I would hesitate to cut the fenders. Almost any bronco you come across will be cut. Find another or put on a body or suspension lift.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Its your toy do as you wish. I like the cut look over the stock one. They look much better cut . Good luck with your choice. ;D ;D ;D Bill :p :cool: %)

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
My opinion is that it will look good both ways.....but a uncut 66....., Put a 1" or 2" mild lift/body and it will look sweet, very sweet. Try it that way first. If you feel its not for you, you can allways cut it later. Also an uncut is worth more. Stevew of big sky Broncos has said that he gets many requests to make peoples Broncos back to "uncut".

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
iguanaman1960 said:
I have a 1966 Ford Bronco Wagon (U15), I want to put bigger tires (15 X 11.50 or 12.50) under it. Looking for some feedback on cutting the fenders to make the room or any modifications I can make or buy. Someone give me the pro's and con's.

Thank you!

33x12.5 tires work fine offroad with cut fenders and a 1" body lift.

You won't fit 11.5" or 12.5" tires, if you go offroad, on an uncut rig
no matter how much lift you have. That being said, you could put
a 2.5" or 3.5" lift on, leave it uncut, and run 31x10.5 tires.

Before you scoff, consider that cut rigs are common, while lifted,
uncut rigs are novel. The smaller tires are not much of a handicap,
and you get lots of style points on the trail.

Andrew

Willie

Loc.
Austin Texas
I have the same problem, if it is a problem. I bought a 76 2years ago and have the flares ready to go, but I am waffel'n on the cut. The PO installed a 3 1/2 lift and 31x10.50 tires without cutting the rear panels, so I've lived with the uncut fenders
for awhile. It works, but if I ever really bottom it out, crinkle time for the panels. Guess it depends on what is in store for your bronco in the future.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I faced the same situation and I wanted both so I bought another one... ;D

chollyrude

Loc.
costa mesa calif
i have a 67 uncut with stock suspension. i intend to replace the stock suspension with new parts but keep the stock height as well as keep it uncut. what would be the biggest tires/rims i could run. it will be mainly for street with very light trail runs every so often.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Mine are currently cut, I bought it that way and wanted one that way. :)

This is my philosophy on cutting fenders, I dont. I would kill to have an orginal 66', well atleast in killing greenbacks, if I had them. I would find one with cut fenders before I remove the value from one. But its your Bronco do what makes you happy! :cool:

66broncofan

Contributor
uncut sort of

if you like the look of the uncut quarters but want the room for bigger tires you can remove sheetmetal from in front of the wheel opening and basically lengthen the wheel opening allowing you to run a taller tire. Would require a bit of body work skill to do. If you want to runa 33x10.5 you will have to roll the inside lip of the quarters. There was a guy in town that did this and he was running 33x9.50 or 10.50 with a 2 in lift, lengtherned stock appering quarters and rolled lip. I know the body shop where he had it done and tried to see if they had any pics of the modification but none were avaliable. Looked very stock and was functional for the trail.

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I have 31x10.5

The PO rolled the inside lip. Plus put on a BC Bronco 3.5" lift.

Here some pics!

Hope it helps...

Fathom

Attachments

• Bronco_66_03a.jpg
    Bronco_66_03a.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0197a.jpg
    IMG_0197a.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0194a.jpg
    IMG_0194a.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 50

Froggy77

Loc.
Wild West Fairfax,Va
I have a '77 that I intended to cut 19 years ago. But since the vehicle is stock and has been well taken care of, I never had the cuts to cut it. Instead, I put a 2 inch lift on it a few years ago and am currently running 30x9.5. Could go bigger if I want. The look is very nice. Stock with a little twist. I am very glad I haven't cut it and I never will (I'd buy one already cut instead). Would post some pics if I had priveleges.

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
you can always replace the fenders later if you want the uncut look ;)

Like said above, its your toy. You have to live with it either way!

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Another vote for 33x9.50 and not cut. I think those look sweet!
And I hate seeing less and less stock uncut models. If you want a cut one, sell your and get a cut one. Uncuts are starting to go for a pretty penny.
With the $ you make you could find a nice built cut one or build a nice cut one.

House

Minutia Militia
I love stock Broncos, but I also understand that you can always put new rear quarter panels on if you want it back to stock!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I too vote for uncut with a 2.5 inch lift or a 3.5 with 33 X 9.50s (unrolled) or 33 X 10.50s (rolled). There are several on here that run the uncut with tall/skinnies and mild lifts and they look sharp.

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
Mine is uncut. I have a 2" lift and I rolled the lip on the back fenders like described previously. I run 31x10.5" BFG/MTs and never get a rub. I would guess you could do the same with 33s.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
redneckrocky said:
CUT vs. UNCUT
Think of it as circumcision, once it's cut you can't get it back!

NOT TRUE, You can ALWAYS replace the rear quarter panels to go back to uncut - granted it's not a big joyful job, but not THAT hard. ;D