• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Under dash Speakers

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK. Just got a new Dell here for the office and it came with a slender speaker set that attaches under the monitor. Anybody know of anything like this that would work on a car Stereo. I have my CB mounted in front of my Twin stick and it leaves very little room for any speakers.

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Shouldn't be a problem. You might have to do some interesting fab work though. The only drawback would be that the speakers wouldn't be facing you. It sure is tough finding the perfect spot for speakers.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
Not for cars, but you can get pretty close. For a speaker system to compete with the noises in an EB, it has to move a LOT of air. That means you either need a lot of cone surface area, or you need expensive long throw coils with a lot of amp to drive 'em.

I've seen tests in stereo magazines that show for real world listening in a car, you shouldn't go with more than a 2:3 ratio when getting oval speakers to avoid distortion damage. A 6x9 would be ok, but a 5x10 would be pushing the limits. So, a good sounding car speaker quickly gets too wide to fit under the dash.

A good compromise that I'm running is seperates. A decent sized mid/bass hidden any where you can fit it, combined with some small 1-1/2" tweeters under the dash facing the passengers. The mid/bass fills the Bronco with sound and the tweeters give you the detail and stereo separation. Sounds great and they're out of the way. The only drawback was also having to hide the passive crossovers. The crossovers should have been very small and cheap, but Kenwood put them in a large plastic box. ...I guess some guys like their stereos to LOOK big.

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
You could always redesign the entire layout of the Dash like someone on here did. Looks sharp and I think I'm going to do the same thing.