• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Under Hood Lighting

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I was thinking about adding some lighting in the engine compartment for emergency repairs etc.. GM had a retractable under hood light which seemed cool, but I think I would want more light than that. So now I'm thinking about some kind of switched LED lights.

What do you guys have? Or, what do you think would be cool?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The GM version is totally manual - unlock the bulb, turn the switch on, turn the switch off, crank the reel back in, & lock the bulb.

The Ford/Jeep (ITT) version is totally automatic - tilt switch, spring-loaded latching reel.

Both use a bulb holder with a dome lens & magnetic base. I put the ITT light in Frank's & mine, but they usually need to be rebuilt to clean out the latching mechanism, & coil the spring a little tighter so they go all the way back in. It's pretty easy, as long as you don't let the mile-long spring uncoil.

Ranchtruck

I like the mecury tilt switches that ford put in 90-94 explorers and 97-newer F-series and expeditions. It's easy to drill a couple holes for it to clip to the hood brace with, and quick to wire. I'm usually only under the hood to check/fill fluids so I don't need a portable light. It's nice to have some light automatically come on when you lift up the hood.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I picked up a seemingly new GM style one. Its awesome and probably bright enough for most uses. The cord is long enough to get it to the back of the truck.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I took a light out of an S10 and wired in an on/off switch, works great.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think a flashlight works great. I've had the underhood things.

sriha

I have a tap light that has velcro on the back. I put the other side of the velcro under the hood in two spots so I can put the light there if I need it. Never had to use it yet.