• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

United States made Starters & Alternators?

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there anybody, anymore, in the U.S. that makes high quality alternators/Starters?
-Had a mean green but it burnt out from the engine always being difficult to start.
-I remember RAYYYY made a real nice one, not sure if he is doing anything anymore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are still rebuilders, but I haven’t heard of any manufacturers lately.
Tuff Stuff probably still does all their work in the US, but they have to use at least some imported parts to do it.
You could check with them though to make sure.

Does MSD still make one? Haven’t heard about them in awhile.

There used to be some more localized manufactures catering to the racing communities. A lot of the small ones got bought out by BBB industries over the last 20 years and after being absorbed got taken to Mexico.
At least BBB is still in northern America or Central America if you want to look at it that way. Just south of our border in Reynoso.
I wonder if they have to import components too?

Check advertisers for a race in groups. Maybe race oriented forums? Then of course there’s always the junkyard route. You could go find an early Motorcraft part that’s perhaps made in the US and then have it rebuilt locally if needed.

What style and output are you going with?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Alterstart Systems, Dallas TX. Pretty sure they build their products there. I've used their high-output alternators...

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are still rebuilders, but I haven’t heard of any manufacturers lately.
Tuff Stuff probably still does all their work in the US, but they have to use at least some imported parts to do it.
You could check with them though to make sure.

Does MSD still make one? Haven’t heard about them in awhile.

There used to be some more localized manufactures catering to the racing communities. A lot of the small ones got bought out by BBB industries over the last 20 years and after being absorbed got taken to Mexico.
At least BBB is still in northern America or Central America if you want to look at it that way. Just south of our border in Reynoso.
I wonder if they have to import components too?

Check advertisers for a race in groups. Maybe race oriented forums? Then of course there’s always the junkyard route. You could go find an early Motorcraft part that’s perhaps made in the US and then have it rebuilt locally if needed.

What style and output are you going with?
Thanks DD.

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Alterstart Systems, Dallas TX. Pretty sure they build their products there. I've used their high-output alternators...
I'll give them a call. Thank you. I called DB and thr only in house made stuff is high output alternators.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
PowerMaster! Can’t believe I forgot that, especially after having discussed them just last week.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you against high output? Or does DB just make super high output stuff?
Or not using Ford units to build them?

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I spoke to Alterstart. Everything made in house but no 4G alternators, have to send in core.
Will check with Powermaster.
My buddies application, with a 4G, does not require high output, just high quality.
The 4G already has good output over stock 1972

MD

https://www.paperformance.com

The have a good spectrum of high quality (lifetime warranty) Ford alternators and starters.
I have an upgraded 3G alternator from them that is 20 years old and no issues other than having trouble keeping enough belt tension (which is no fault of the alternator).

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Is there anybody, anymore, in the U.S. that makes high quality alternators/Starters?
-Had a mean green but it burnt out from the engine always being difficult to start.
-I remember RAYYYY made a real nice one, not sure if he is doing anything anymore.
Have not heard anything about RAYYYY in a very long time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeg's is advertising a company called East Coast Auto Electric. At least with regard to ultra-mini alternators.
But the label says "Starters, Alternators, Batteries" on the one pictured.
Anyone know of them and if they are USA made?

Paul