• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unusual Engine mounting problem

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Hello all - I seem to be having an unusual engine mounting issue on my '77 Bronco Wagon. Just to give a little background:

I am currently in the process of a body off restoration. At this particular stage, the frame has already been coated and the front and rear axles are attached. A 3.5" suspension lift has been installed, so springs and shocks are already mounted as well.

I have also replaced the standard 3 speed with a NV3550 including AA adapters front and back. The tranny with BH, transfer case, and front and rear drive lines are installed and in proper place.
Now to the issue - this past weekend, I decided to re-install the original engine (totally shot 302) onto the chassis to see just how well it fit up the bell housing. Unfortunately the original motor mounts were tossed by accident so I spend $30 or close to it at NAPA for replacements. Installed and ready to go, I lowered the motor onto the chassis and that is when I noticed the front of the motor slants towards the passenger side and the rear toward the driver side.

Even more interesting is that the motor will not completely line up with the BH on the driver side. I tried twisting the motor a little on the mounts to get alignment but no luck. It seems its just a little bit off. The part of the BH where the starter mounts seems a little too close to the passenger side frame rail.

Has anyone had this issue before? Shouldn't the motor and tranny plus the rear drive line be about center in the chassis towards the rear.

The chassis does not appear to be bent anywhere and the motor stands on the chassis are in great condition. No bolt wear marks or anything. When pulling the motor out originally it seemed everything was aligned properly.

Any clues?

Thanks - Coob

67ster

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the wrong mounts but the engine and trans were offset from the factory . The centerline is toward the pass. side to allow for the driver side TC drop.The center transmission hump is even offset. Good luck !

OP
OP
Coob

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Thanks all - I will begin with checking the measurements and then investigate the motor mounts.

Looking at the rear drive line again, I see where the transmission and TC are somewhat offset to the passenger side.

Thanks again..

Coob