• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

UPDATE...'72 Sputters and backfires under hard accelaration

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
'72 with stock 302/3spd...Sputters and backfires under hard accelaration. Does great idleing or when reved up to high RPM's in the driveway. It accelarates pretty smooth under normal accelaration, but if you step on or get into the higher RPM's it sputters and backfires under load. It has new plugs, new carb (that worked great on my other '72. Does this sound like a points problem? Any other ideas?

Let me know.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Last edited:

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
Check for vaccuum leaks, are your spark plug wires in the right firing order? (personal exp :-X ), timing,? Vac advance still working?...

Just some thoughts.

Sean

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd try adjusting or replacing the points as they wear timing tends to change a little. Then I'd start looking at the carb the accelerator pump could be bad.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
sputter

Sounds like a fuel issue. Restriction in the fuel line, filter, or bad fuel pump or accelerator pump in carb. Start at the back end and work forward.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the suggestions Broncnaz, Sean, and Mark, Ok.. here we go. I checked timing and it is good. I changed points and condensor, changed rotor button and cap. I changed accerarator pump diaghram and checked spring and guts, also tried adjusting the accelerator pump linkage into all of the positions and it still does the same thing. I can push the pedal to the floor and it accelerates to where it starts to get up in the RPM"s and it sputters and looses power. I can barely let off and it will jerk a little then pick back up again and accelerate. Feels kinda like a rev limiter when it kicks in. Any ideas?

Keep'em comin.

Thanks,

Blue71

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
sounds like it's running out of fuel. either the carb is too lean or possibly the fuel pump is going bad....

Bronconaut

Contributor
Plug Wires

I had a Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that did the same thing - thought it was the turbo going bad. I changed the spark plug wires and that was it. Worth a try - sounds like you've changed everything else.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well..figured it out. The choke kept getting stuck half way closed on it. I fixed it to where it was open and it does great. Thanks for all the help. Whew...these things can drive you crazy.

Blue71

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
j.r.nice said:
you mean I used my brain for nutthin?

(congrats)

J. R.

Just tryin to keep you sharp J.R. ;) ;D

Thanks again,

Andy
Blue71

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
Bronconaut said:
I had a Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that did the same thing - thought it was the turbo going bad. I changed the spark plug wires and that was it. Worth a try - sounds like you've changed everything else.

Good luck.

:cool: :cool: :cool: This is what I would think is your problem. I have had this happen with bran new cheap wires. Buy good ones good luck and have fun.;D ;D ;D Bill :p :D :p