• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

(UPDATE!)Sat for 14 years. Muck under the valve covers with pics.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Andy, No telling what you are dealing with. There must have been a reason for someone to park it all those years ago. It may have had a problem way back when. If you got it to run at all even for five seconds, I guess that is a good sign. Try turning the distributor a little each way and see if it spins easier. You just don't know what you may find.

The green 75 that I bought had rust on all of the valve stems even though it had a carb on it with air cleaner. One valve had stuck so bad that it broke a valve spring as I turned it over by hand. No telling what you may find as you go along. The exhaust may also be plugged solid ( mice nests ) after all this time. Just stay at it for a little while. Good luck :)

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
By squrting oil in the plug holes your giving the rings a little better seal thus a better reading. Stuck rings. I would bet your carb is hopelessly gummed up. your gonna have to clean it. Your line,tank strainer could also be plugged.might also need some lovin. no fuel being delivered. Having sat that long it could be anything in the fuel system. Start with the simplest and work foward. I also would look at the oil system. pull the dizzy and spin the oil pump to see if oil is being delivered to the heads and so forth. I sure this mill will run you are just gonna have to reverse the effects of sitting.

Andy brought up a very good point about the exhaust. Mice love to nest in pipes. I parked one of my jeeps in my garage one winter and the suckers loaded the pipe with sunflower seeds. Man did that thing stink and smoke when I ran it the first time in the spring. It was almost scary the amount of smoke comming out of that pipe. The only way to clear it was to drive it like I stole it to blow all the crap out of it. :eek:

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. It was this guys fathers truck The guy (son)parked the truck because it was his fathers and his father passed away in 1991. He drove it in the barn and parked it in '91. Said it ran super strong. I talk to him frequently and he has been a very honest guy. In fact..he called today because he heard we had to drag it out of the barn (brakes were frozen up) and was worried that something else might have been wrong with it. I think he wants it started and running as bad as I do. I'll check the exhaust and carb too. Just curious. When I pulled the valve covers off and cranked it I could see pretty good oil coming off the top of the rocker arms. Would either of those explain why it is so weak until fuel hits it? Man..it just lugs like it has a really weak battery, but I tried two different batteries at full charge. Wish you could hear it! I'm gonna get me some mice nests!!!!!

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
with my 68 witha 289 i had the replace the wirign harness before i could even get it to try and crank(the other owner hook the batt up backwards) but crap happens. so after that i pulled all the plugs and olied everythign down. i could turn her with a wrench so i hooked the jumper cables and a batte to her and tryed to crank. no good. after i replaced the coil, 12 starter cyl, all new batt cabels, and tested the starter 4 times it finally cranked over.( i dont think the start syl was the problem but it was a free warnty exc. i stll have not gotten it to run. So i have a 302 ready to drop in her as soon i am ready too. however my 54 sat for 7 years. we put a coil on it pulled it around some to free up the breaks hooked the jumper cabels to it(did not have a spare batt) and she fired right up. i ened up pulling the oil pan and totally redoing the fuel system( will soon get a 4 bbl) but the motor was rebuilt maybe 3000 miels before it was parked. so it is possilb. i have found that a steel fuel line to the carb then connected to a gas can up side down will help to supply the fuel. make shure there ar no leaks. but it is possible. keep up the work.

72moore

Re

Blue71 said:
Thanks guys...keep'em comming. O.K. I finally got it to almost fire after putting a little gas in the carb. Wasn't firing before when I did the same, but oh well at least it seems to wanna start now. I will try a new coil too. Couldn't hurt. The motor still runs down very quickly after 30 seconds of trying to start. I still have a new battery and am charging it all the time when I am trying to start the Bronco. Sounds like it is pulling a lot of AMPS or something until it drains the battery down enought to where it won't crank. I wait a minute or so and it goes another 30 seconds before running back down. Any ideas?

Thanks Much,

Blue71
Just a thought, you might check to see if it has a ground
coming from the BAT to the frame if the engine has ever been replaced.
I'm not saying this will get it running, but it will help the battery to hold a charge. Just went through this on my rig. AUTO ZONE has some nice ground straps stainless braided for 10- 12 dollars.
Hope you can use this info. Eric ;D

michael welch

Loc.
kent, washington
I bought a bronco that sat for close to ten years,and the things I had to do to get it road worthey. Repaced all the brake parts, total tune-up,rebuilt carb,pulled starter had it checked,new battery and cables,and new fuel pump, the day it started or tryed the first thing it did was bent two pushrods and broke one rocker arm (froze up valve train). Using some wd-40 sprayed down the valve spring area (best thing I could think of at the time) and slowly all the valves one by one started to unstick,replaced the broken parts with used parts it did start and ran perty good for about 10 minutes and then died,the fuel tanks which I didn't clean were cloging the filter on the carb,I did this two or there times and samething would happen 15-30 minutes cloged fuel filter,so I went to the boat supply house and bought a large fuel filter that looked like a oil filter (about $30), it filtered fuel and had a water saperator built in and never had another problem,I ran this same filter 2-3 years and when I replaced it I turned it over drained it and shook out large pieces like coarse ground pepper came out,I still run this filter set-up today with the one on the carb also.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Leo73EB said:
Why not just use some Kerosene and a stiff brush to gently clean all that "crud" out of there? I've done it in the past, and recently... no issues to report.

I just did that with the componants I scavenged to make my EB engine complete. No big deal. clean the gunk see how she runs. Once, I blew the crap outta junk in a 911 engine also I had bought...the previous owners were to scaredto open her up (said it ran bad). It was BECAUSE of not letting the carbon out...engines need to be run!!

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input fellas, well...I got a new/rebuilt carb on her and she's alive!!! Did all the routine maintennace. I'll post some pics of her. Just changed the oil for a second time today to get some of that gunk out. I'll getpics of the old uncut up pretty soon.

Thanks again,

Blue71