• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Update...Wont Start.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Cranks good and strong. But doesnt fire at all. Any suggestions. What do i need to look for???? ( I got it runnin, It was the points and condenser. Runs like a champ) Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
Make sure your coil is getting voltage when key is in "start". Could be a bad wire or key switch went south. I'm assuming it was running before? Make sure its got gas comin' into the intake and pull a plug to make sure you've got spark at the plug.

OP
OP
Flash69

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
i guess it may be a good time to upgrade my distributor and coil. I have a new holley 570 that i hate. I dont think it is a fuel prob.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Flash69 said:
What do i need to look for????

For an engine to run it needs a few things. Air, fuel (in something close to the correct ratio) and spark (at something close to the correct time). Your troubleshooting effort should be directed at finding out which one of these is not present.

Barring something drastically wrong mechanically with your engine, like a broken timing chain, the engine will suck air through the carburator when the starter turns the engine over. That takes care of one of the requirements.

Turn the key to ON, pull the coil wire off the distributor, and use a screwdriver to short the + battery connection on the starter solenoid to the S connection (the little connection next to the BAT connection). Shorting these two together with the key ON should be like starting the engine. As you do this, hold the coil wire close to the engine block and look (and listen) for a spark. If you have a spark, chances are your ignition system is OK. Put the coil wire back on...

Go get a can of starting fluid. In a pinch you could use brake cleaner or carb cleaner, but they don't work as well. pull the top off the air cleaner, and verify that the choke plate is straight up and down. If not, this is a problem starting a warm engine. Spray the starting fluid around and into your air cleaner. Then try to start the engine. If it starts for a couple seconds, you have no fuel.

Once you have it narrowed down to one of these two things, it should be relatively easy to troubleshoot further.

OP
OP
Flash69

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Thanks guys ill be doing some of these checks when the weather clears up. Im parting out a 74 in my garage and cant get it in out of the weather.

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
check your cap and rotor, look for faint little black marks, signs of spider arcs, since spark is always gonna take the path of least resistance. Or open the hood at night and check for any other arcs, distributor cap has failed me twice in about 2 years, common for me, lol

OP
OP
Flash69

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
I just cant get it adjusted to run right. It hesitates when i get on it. With my starting problem now in wondering if it might be electrical and not the carb. Ill find out soon i guess.

OP
OP
Flash69

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
trailpsycho said:
I had the same issue when my duraspark module went south.
Thanks..Im still in the dark ages with points and condenser. Im thinking about changing it over. Should i get something like the pertronics or go with a new distributor???

OP
OP
Flash69

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Back to the top... I got it guys it was the points and condenser. I kinda figured it was. The weather has kept me from working on it. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INPUT..

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Flash69 said:
Cranks good and strong. But doesnt fire at all. Any suggestions. What do i need to look for???? ( I got it runnin, It was the points and condenser. Runs like a champ) Thanks for all the input.

yea!! broncos are good like that easy to fix...