• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Update: Wrong Flywheel. Help please

raleigh_bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went to NAPA and got a brand new flywheel for a 77 302 and tried to mount it to my 68 289 but the mounting holes were off considerably. My question is does anyone know which flywheel works for my engine? I was told the flywheel should be the same regardless of year or engine, but it was not to be ?:?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As said above...It should fit. The holes will only line up in one position.

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You must be kidding right?

So, all 289, 302 and 351 engines manufactured in 68-77 have the same flywheel?

If so, Napa sells there's for $78 and Jeff's is $140... there has to be some differences between the 2?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
raleigh_bronco said:
You must be kidding right?

So, all 289, 302 and 351 engines manufactured in 68-77 have the same flywheel?

If so, Napa sells there's for $78 and Jeff's is $140... there has to be some differences between the 2?

Somebody may correct me here, but, I believe the bolt pattern is the same on all.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
They are all the same bolt pattern dont know why yours doesnt fit maybe someone stuck the wrong one in the box. Thats the only thing that could be wrong.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
same bolt pattern different weights 28 oz vs 50 oz
1968-80 302 engines were built with a 28-ounce imbalance factor.
1981-2001 302 engines were built with a 50-ounce imbalance factor.
1969-97 351W engines were built with a 28-ounce imbalance factor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not sure which bolt pattern you are having touble with.

If you are referring to the flywheel to crank, then you just need to keep trying. The 6 holes are NOT spaced evenly and the flywheel will only bolt on one way. The bolt pattern for that has never changed

If you are referring to the pressure plate to flywheel pattern, there are several different patterns. I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head. If the engine was swapped out you may have a car flywheel (10” clutch instead of 11” truck) or maybe a newer style. Some of the newer metric stuff is even metricised.

Not knowing what you are trying to do and/or which part(s) you are replacing I am not sure what the problem is.