• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgraded lights to LED, Lost All Blinker Capability

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I upgraded my Headlights / Front Blinkers / Taillights with a vendor LED kit yesterday. Big difference BUT now my ALL of my blinkers don't work. The flashers do work. Hoping it's something simple. Any ideas?

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Did you install resistors on the turn lamps, or change the flashers to LED compatible type?
LEDs don’t draw much current so the old mechanical flashers won’t work with them - unless you use the resistors.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Yes, I did install the equalizers that came with the kit. Based in the TBP video, it's one for each side of the bronco so odd that neither side is working.

Did you install resistors on the turn lamps, or change the flashers to LED compatible type?
LEDs don’t draw much current so the old mechanical flashers won’t work with them - unless you use the resistors.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Yes, I did install the equalizers that came with the kit. Based in the TBP video, it's one for each side of the bronco so odd that neither side is working.

Ok, so you should be good there.
Only two things come to mind:
1. Make sure one side of the resistor has a solid ground connection.
2. Double check the resistors connected to the turn signal wire and not the stop or reverse.

Hopefully it’s something simple.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
LED bulbs, and flashers, are sensitive to polarity. If you have something reversed, like a bulb or a flasher, it may not work.

I really don’t know why these kits come with resistors except that it’s cheaper for the vendor. It requires hacking up your wiring and adds another point of failure..... it’s much easier to just replace the flashers with LED flashers.

KyddsPly

LED bulbs, and flashers, are sensitive to polarity. If you have something reversed, like a bulb or a flasher, it may not work.

I really don’t know why these kits come with resistors except that it’s cheaper for the vendor. It requires hacking up your wiring and adds another point of failure..... it’s much easier to just replace the flashers with LED flashers.

I have to agree. I’d rather put a few extra bucks out and then start cutting in the wiring. Do any of the kids come with the new flashers? This is something I’ve been looking out for my bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have to agree. I’d rather put a few extra bucks out and then start cutting in the wiring. Do any of the kids come with the new flashers? This is something I’ve been looking out for my bronco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t know if the kits do but you can buy them anywhere. I use a Grotte 44891. Got it off Amazon. It’s one of the few that clicks like the old mechanical flasher. I only had to replace the one for the turn signals. The emergency worked with LED bulbs and old flasher.

I’m not sure if I had to reverse the wires on the Grotte flasher. I messed around with so many of them that I can’t keep them straight.

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan

Agreed. Plus kind of defeats the advantage of less current draw.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
open to all options. I'll report back. If I buy the LED Flasher, do I need to remove the equalizers that came with the kit?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
open to all options. I'll report back. If I buy the LED Flasher, do I need to remove the equalizers that came with the kit?

I would. Some flashers may work with both types bulbs but I would want to keep it as simple as possible.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
When I went LED, I purchased both, LED flashers and equalizers. I put the LED flashers in the Bronco. And I put the equalizers in a drawer in the garage. Everything works fine.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I have a feeling I connected the equalizer to the tail light and not the blinker. I for sure connected it to the constant power (male) which I'm assuming was the taillight. Too cold to check right now!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Put both resistors on one side and see if that is enough load to get that side working. The typical load resistor is good for replacing the load on one light bulb.

Then take them off and put an LED flasher in and call it good.

OP
OP
BGBronco

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
Still struggling with this. I switched the wires that the equalizer was attached to on the drivers side of the truck.

I did have blinkers until I screwed in the taillight which either grounded / ungrounded it. No Blinkers.

I added an LED flasher. Removed the equalizer (drivers side). No blinkers.

What's next?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Still struggling with this. I switched the wires that the equalizer was attached to on the drivers side of the truck.

I did have blinkers until I screwed in the taillight which either grounded / ungrounded it. No Blinkers.

I added an LED flasher. Removed the equalizer (drivers side). No blinkers.

What's next?

Do the lights come on but just not blink? The polarity may be wrong on your flasher. It’s easy to make a couple of wires to switch the connections. Some flashers come with them or an adapter.

https://upcarparts.com/led-flasher-w-reverse-polarity-base-extension-wires

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Try putting one non - LED light back in (try front left blinker). If that causes enough
resistance to work, then there is something wrong with the new flasher or new flasher set up. My LED flashers had no ground wire. Could be good and bad flashers.