• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upper Steering Shaft Loose

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Been trying to dial in my steering and have replaced everything but the column on my 74. Bought new collapsable lower shaft and connected it to upper shaft with a new FR u-joint instead of the old rag joint. It has a small amount of play near the firewall where it goes through the column. Is there anything i can do to tighten it up or reduce the play in it or is this a column issue? It's the original 3-on-the tree column. Not sure what else to do but dont want to pony up $800 for a new/rebuilt column.

Harley

Loc.
Leon County
Gweiner,
I am in the same boat, and found the upper bearing missing, not put back on reassembly. I just got the above parts delivered today... so tomorrow evening I find out if i'm getting a second job to pay for a new collumn.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I replaced my upper shaft bearings and it made quite the difference.
I also did the lower shaft with u-joints, all from WH.

It is almost too good as I can feel every little grumble and creek of the linkage.

But waaaaay better than those worn out upper shaft bearings and stock rag joint lower shaft.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Gweiner .... Can you explain that NickName ...
...Unless you need that kind of column .. There are several different ways to not spend 800 BUCK ON THAT COLUMN ..
... LOOK ON fleabay & get an IDIDIT column .. most about 375.00 to 450.00.
.. I'm running a 1979 ford pick up or Bronco column . I even converted the Automatic column over to use with my Manual. Mine cost about 125.00 I've put 3 in my Bronco .
... I don't like them but they do seem to work.
... The tilt section always breaks on mine.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
You guys are great , always resource ful. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

GWeiner is an uncreative handle for Glenn Weiner. Will need to think of a more creative one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Negative there ghost rider... That's how we know you! Start sneaking around as someone else and it'll make us all confuzzled like.;);D

In the meantime too, there are a couple of things you should be aware of. Hopefully you don't even need parts because those pesky '74 columns are a beast!!!!

Anyway, to that end maybe all you need is some tightening up of the lower retainer. Might as well check that first anyway. If it can save you some money and aggravation, then mission accomplished. If not, at least you tried.

Here is at least some of the many stock parts for a column like yours: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts
What you should look for on yours, down in the open end where the shaft exits the column in the engine compartment, are a clamp (#2799) pushing against a sleeve (#2650) which is actually doing double duty as a preload adjuster and an inner bearing race. If that is loose from normal wear, you can simply loosen the clamp and push it a little farther up the shaft putting pressure on the collar/sleeve/thingy.

If the lower and upper bearings are just too worn out, then at least you'll know and can order up some parts.
Wherein lies the difficulty...

For some reason, '74 is the one we seem to get calls on most often for people rebuilding them and running into parts problems. Ford was making changes between '73, '74 and '75, and it seems your year got a mixed bag of parts sometimes.
My recommendation is to either take it apart first to verify what components you need (early vs late) or just buy bearings and such for early and late models so you have all the parts on hand you might need when taking the thing apart.
Then you can send anything unused back (at least if using WH that is) for credit or refund. I can't speak for the other vendors of course, so definitely ask to make sure that's part of their policy.

But try the adjustment first. Helps to have someone up by the wheel pushing lightly down while you loosen the retainer sleeve, as the upper spring behind the wheel will tend to push things upward and leave a larger gap between the wheel and column bell.
If the bearings are shot, you should know pretty quickly after tightening things down.

Paul