• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upper Steering Shaft Removal 73’

Mab1219

I’m looking to remove and replace the upper steering shaft on my 73 with PS. The splines are shot after removing the rag joint collar while trying to install the WH custom lower shaft. Am I able to remove the upper shaft from either direction without pulling the entire steering column?? Is it just a c clip that needs to be removed to remove upper shaft? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the '73 disassembled like that, just showing a short nub sticking out the bottom of the column, you should be able to remove the shaft from either direction without removing the column body itself.
Probably easier to pull it out the top though i would think. Still a lot of junk in the way under the hood usually.

Your '73 "should" (you just never know with these things!) have the simple clamp holding the shaft in place. Looks like this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steering_Shaft_Clamp/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts and that part not only holds the lower bearing in place, but keeps the upper spring from constantly pushing the shaft upward and leaving a gap between the steering wheel section and the turn-signal section of the column.
Once you loosen this clamp, the shaft may slide upward a half inch or so under spring pressure. You should be able to slide the clamp off and pull the whole shaft and steering wheel together up out of the top.
Assuming you don't have some fancy seats or a roll cage in the way. If so, then Plan-B goes into effect.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shucks guys. Weren't nothin' (really, wasn't even helpful until it actually turns out to be true!););D
Let us know how it goes.

Sorry to hear that the splines got buggered. Are you sure they're not savable? Once you get it out and on the bench see if you can clean them up a bit. Some shafts really got swedged/swaged/peened over but good to hold that rag joint frame in place. Others just took a few taps and the dumb things slide right off. Hit or miss...

With any luck though yours can be cleaned up and still used. If not, you can trade your upper joint in for a different type.
You could use a weld-on unit I suppose, or just one that is a slip-on with multiple set-screws to hold it in place.
Personally, if I had a shaft with unusable splines I'd see if i could cut them off right at the smooth part, then file it down into a Double-D ("DD") shape and use a 1" DD x 3/4" DD upper joint/yoke/thingy and go from there. You can check out our video showing how that's done here: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/steeringshaftfabrication/tech_faq
The only question left at that point is whether your new lower shaft is long enough to fit with the newly shortened upper shaft. If not you'd have to trade that in on a longer one in addition to the new style upper joint.

Good luck.

Paul