• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Use of Naval Jelly on rust

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
My frame is in Powder coat and I am working on my front and rear end. Has anyone ever used naval jelly to treat rust? I dont want to sand blast in fear of getting sand in places where it can do harm.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I used the Aircraft stripper and it worked very well. The old guys at the parts store tried to get me to buy the naval jelly instead and swear by it. I heard it's some nasty stuff though. I don't think it could hurt to try it.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I've used the navy jelly before and it works pretty good. But if the rust is very thick (pitted, scaly, etc), you will need to do several applications because it doesn't penetrate all the way through with each app. But like Firstsarge says its nasty stuff. I've found its much easier to media blast.

Dusty

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
It is just surface rust I am dealing with. To many moving parts to media blast .

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Naval Jelly does work and does make a big mess. Another easy to use trick is some bathroom cleaners. Works great on light rust and not near as hazardous. Nothing you want your kids playing with either. Look for ones that work on lime and rust stains and contain hydrochloric acid, Snobol is the one I use.

jmex

Loc.
Monticello, AR
I recently cleaned up both my axles and I simply went to walmart and got a few wire wheel brushes and put it on a drill and they cleaned up real nice real fast.
The only mess was the dirt that came off.

1052.jpg

I also used the same wire wheel,(once is was wore down) and wleded a socket to the shaft and used an extention to clean the inside of the axle tubes. Dam at the dirt that came out of there. Ended up using three to finally get the tubes clean.