• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using Marine Clean: Chemical Burns

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
OK...
Has anyone had an experience when they used POR-15 Marine Clean and:
- Their skin turned black in spots
- all but erased their own fingerprints
- skin smells like uncooked chicken
- yellows fingernails and removes the top layer of the nail
- pock marks on the inflamed area
- looks like the area affected is slightly glazed over

I've thoroughly rinsed the area for 20 minutes and it's tender to the touch, my fingertips are somewhat numb and my right hand looks like it's slightly glazed.

Any paramedics out there want to jump in?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Wow, I haven't experienced that, but then again I always wear industrial rubber gloves when I am working with that and the metal-ready.

73ny

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New York
Use of your hands is pretty important :eek: I'd get it checked out, the numb part could be bad......

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Waltz?...you might consider picking a faster dance.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
called the urgent care people. They said to flush it with water again put on some triple antibacterial and wrap it. As for the fingers... the de-greaser prolly soaked out all the oils in the skin... so that needs moisturizing so the skin doesn't crack.

Said to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse... come on in. Said I did the right things initially...

this is just friggin weird

I'll post photos later... now if I could just get the smell of uncooked chicken out of my head I'd be 10x better... that's just nasty!

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
ummmmm yeah don't worry some times I get so excited about the bronco I forget to wear gloves last time it was with that aircraft remover spray, never again!

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Yeah, that crap turned my skin into rubber. I could scrape off layers at a time with my finger nail. It took serveral hours before that stopped, and several days for my fingers to stop hurting.

Wear gloves!!

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I didn't even give it the chance... I always wear rubber gloves when dealing with solvents and cleaners of that nature. Definitely get it checked out if the symptoms don't start to improve soon. Hands are too important to risk permanent damage to!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Hmm, I thought the tingling burning felt kinda nice ;D
That sucks Adam, hope you get to healing, I didnt have any issues, had that crap all over me when I did my tub on the rotisserie and the frame. I am sure it has some good stuff in it though as it will eat out the diaphragm in squirt bottles.

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
Sorry to hear of your troubles!
And thanks for the heads up on protecting you skin from the Marine Clean Chemical Burn.
I'm just about at that stage with mine.
Now I'll be wearing heavy duty gloves, throw away clothes, face and lung protection.
Any tips for application?

Thanks

Gerry

bax

Contributor
Old Member
since when has acid been good for you? USE PROTECTION Some kids never learn. I hope you heal fast.

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I think it is a combination of a couple things:
- I have a sun allergy on my arms. Nowhere else... weird
- I was working with gloves (vinyl not latex)... maybe something there
- I was wearing goggles
- I was working with fiberglass yesterday... maybe some of the glass micro-slivers were embedded in my arm allowing the chemical to penetrate more.
- the chemical was cut 1.5:1... suggested dilution is 1:1
- Marine clean is supposed to be a degreaser not an acid... I may be wrong
- It seems the most damage is where it soaked into my sleeve (I was wearing A long sleeve t-shirt)
- I'm just glad it doesn't smell like uncooked chicken anymore;D (if there is a bright side to this)

TIPS: Have your truck acid dipped by professionals and leave the nasty chemicals to someone else.

Attachments

• IMG_7190_wr.jpg
    IMG_7190_wr.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 100

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The fiberglass is nasty stuff as you know, I am sure it was a major culprit in the whole thing. It tears me up any time I work with it. And then using the cleaner probably inflamed it more like you said. Glad you dont smell like chicken anymore ;D

greasypigeon

Loc.
Fort Bliss, Tx
My butt looked like that when I had to sit in FRH for 8 hours. What helped me was soap that has orange in it, and you kinda of have to treat the area like a new tattoo. Use vitamins D on the area and use unsented lotion. I hope you get better.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Marine clean is a phosphoric acid containing solution. Its meant to "clean the metal (acid is good for that). It also is a preparative on metal...phosphate coatings make great primers for steel...nice side chains capable of forming covalent bonds with polymers (enamels, urethanes, epoxies). Its probably too late now, but you should have used some baking soda (sodium carbonate would quench the acid) on the exposed areas. It looks like you were exposed for a while. Too bad. Its hard to tell from the pics, but looks to be about the equivalent of a mild first degree burn...no worries. You could still do the baking soda thing (dissolve some in water till its fairly cloudy and submerge and lightly work it in) then rinse well. If you see some bubbles, which you probably wont, its good. Rinse and go by some long "house-wife gloves" for next time.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I have the material safety data sheets (MSDS) for this product if you want it. Send me your e-mail address and I'll shoot it to you.