• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using Marine Clean: Chemical Burns

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
thanX Tito... was like chicken that was sitting out for a couple hours... the cat was eyeballing me funny... and not in a "oooh yummy" way.

Trail... so the Marine Clean also has Phosphoric Acid in it? I thought that Was the Metal Ready?

Sarge... PM sent

Pidgeon... if you're in EP... we'll have to get together... I'm just up the road from you in ABQ

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Ouch, That had to be a little scarey. I have been a dumb a$$ lately too, Tore the flesh off my leg goofing around on a mini Bike, then hit my leg with an axe (dont ask), and then cut my legs going over barbed wire (again, dont ask). My wife is sure I will eventually lose body parts.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Sorry about your troubles but I have to ask.
"What were you doing that you needed to use Marine Clean on your Bronco?"

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I've spilled that stuff on my hands several times and have just washed them with soap and water and never had a problem (yet). You probably have some sensitivity to the stuff, but in any case the rubber glove idea is the smart way to go. I usually wear gloves but sometime either got in a hurry or had it spilled/slopped down the inside of the glove.

Good luck and be careful.

Glenn

OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
it's essentially scabbed over. I think that the majority of the holes in the skin are around the hair follicles.

They are basically fairly deep pits that have scabbed over,,, doesn't look much better than it did. Feels better... but the part that hurts the most are the pits on the ends of my fingers (1 handed typing) and the tenderness of the skin on the ends of the fingers. Looks like I'll get a day off tomorrow.:p

Really kinda bummed I didn't get more done this weekend. I was hoping to have everything ready for POR-15 & undercoating as well as getting the console ready to put some skim coat down.

Where can I get thick, extra long rubber gloves? I'm not going through this again...

Attachments

• IMG_7191_WR.jpg
    IMG_7191_WR.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 28

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
thanX Tito... was like chicken that was sitting out for a couple hours... the cat was eyeballing me funny... and not in a "oooh yummy" way.

Trail... so the Marine Clean also has Phosphoric Acid in it? I thought that Was the Metal Ready?

Sarge... PM sent

Pidgeon... if you're in EP... we'll have to get together... I'm just up the road from you in ABQ

Yeah, my bad...I was thinking of the Metal Ready. Degreasers, especially old school ones, also contain alot of phosphates--as phosphates are good at breaking up oils and making them water soluble. There are so many good degreasing agents nowadays, its hard to say whats in that product. Hopefully, you got the MSDS sheet and it says you will live ;D . Keep in mind that a strong degreaser is meant to break down oils, fats and organic compounds and thats pretty much what we are. The fiberglass probably had a lot to do with your situation--judging by how the forearms are looking. Sucks that you are so uncomfortable. Hope you have a quick recovery.

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
...Where can I get thick, extra long rubber gloves? I'm not going through this again...

I've got a pair of heavy rubber gloves that came from a professional paint store; they're commonly used with industrial paint stripper. Mine come up to the elbows, which looks like it would have been just about the length you needed.

You might be able to find a pair at your local home center in the paint stripper aisle.

Did you ever put that 3d Bronco drawing I sent you several months ago to use? It was for some sort of top secret project: has it broken cover yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
GraficO

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
PS... unfortunately not. My available time disappeared there for a few months and that part of the project was somewhat scrapped... at least until next year.

I'll look at Home Depot and Lowe's next time I'm in there for those long-ish gloves. ThanX for the tip. :)

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I co-opted in a phosporic acid plant in college in 1980. Seen a lot worse than that.

Phosporic acid is wonderful stuff. primes bare and rusty metal. Brush it on and wipe it off with an acid soaked rag. Leaves a nice grey and black coating that really grabs paint like trailphysco said.

I have never seen a paint let go from phosphoric acid treated metal.

67bondobronc

I hope you get better. I used parts cleaner once all day and did not think about safety. My hands peeled and were burnt but the real freaky thing was that the bottoms of my feet peeled abot 10 days later, doc said it was the chemicals. So if your feet peel............you're not turning into an alien.;D

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like one of those stories where you mutate into a super hero. Now that would be awesome. A superhero with a CLASSIC BRONCO!
Seriously, I hope that you are better, and maybe it's something we all learned from your experience. Thank you for sharing...