• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum Hose off C4

doradoguy

I have two vacuum hose that attach to the back of the C4. I did an EFI engine swap and not sure where to connect them. I'm assuming they are vacuum.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
are you sure they arent the feed and return from the trans cooler? never heard of vac lines on a trans before?

They go to the vacuum modulator for shifting. Some had one, some had two. I've personally only ran into the single hose and it connects to manifold vacuum. Viperwolf is the tranny expert on here.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The 2 port modulators were used in '73-'74 in conjunction with the EGR system. Best method to get rid of it is to eliminate one of the lines and swap the modulator to a single port, green stripe one. It needs full manifold vacuum.

OP
OP
D

doradoguy

You guys are awesome. Where might I find a single port. Is that a junk yard item.

dmwelljr

Loc.
Sublimity, Oregon
You can get them on eBay, or the parts store, they are fairly inexpensive. I have one with a yellow stripe, what's the difference between the yellow and green?

Razorbackbronco

Speaking of modulators, I just had my tranny rebuilt and the modulator keeps popping out a little. It only comes out about a 1/4 inch, but it when it does it drips fluid. Is the modulator under pressure? It seems like it pops out due to air pressure, because I haven't driven it yet

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I have one with a yellow stripe, what's the difference between the yellow and green?

Yellow stripe, with one single hose connection for High Vac lower altitude driving. Usually found on larger engines with strong vacuum signals, and trucks with earlier governor shift point calibration. Usually found on 72-81

Green stripe, with one single hose connection for average settings that fit the widest variety of applications of the C-4 and C-5. This version seems to be the most popular and widely used of them all. Usually found on 72-83

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
... and this

VacuumModulator005_zpsfd6dc51d.jpg

OP
OP
D

doradoguy

I ordered my green stripe but it doesn't come with barb end. I guess I can figure that out.

BRONCOBERT

Could you not use a Y to connect the two hoses into one and run that to your single vacuum port?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could you not use a Y to connect the two hoses into one and run that to your single vacuum port?

Not really. The vacuum sources were not the same.

Attachments

• 73 vac diagram.JPG
    73 vac diagram.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 118

BRONCOBERT

Not really. The vacuum sources were not the same.

What should you do if you have the C4 modulator with dual ports but don't have all the other valves?
Should I block one port and use the other, or change the C4 modulator to a single port?
Also what negative reaction would happen if you ran the Y for both of them.