• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum to electric wipers!

marks bronco

Loc.
Pinellas Park,Fla.
I receantly did this converson on my 68. To start youll need the wiper linkage( i refer to this as the wiper arm witch is not the wiper arm on the outside that olds the blade),wiper motor and mount and wiper switch with bezel (bezel from 69-72 with wiers on it)from a bronco or the parts are available from several suppliers.;D If you can weld its stronger but it can be done with dolts if welder is not available. I removed the vacuum wiper assembly and marked the mounting holes on a pice of metal 7"x2" x1/8" thick and drilled this the same size hole as the wiper assembly. Youll need 2 of these plates.Next in the center of these holes use a stepbit to drill a 1/2" hole centered on the plate between the two holes. Slide the plate over the new factory wiper arm an mark the holes onto the plate. At this point you can weld threaded studs onto the plates ( I welded on 10/24 studs) or drill the holes and then drill for countersinking the bolts(important you must countersink the plate for the bolts or youll have to drill the windshield frame to keep these plates flat aganist the windshield frame) Theres also the option of welding the studs directly to the windshild frame. I wouldnt advise driling and taping the windshield frame but it might hold.Next I cut the drivers side wiper arm about 5 inches from the pivot point. Now with the step bit you have to drill the inside of the windshild frame (I used a 1/2" Unibit)till it bottoms out,on the outsideyou dont drill it all the way.i drilles it a little at a time and kept checking it with the inside wiper arm untill it fit tightly.Then repeated it on the other side. Assemble the plates to the wiper arms and to the windshield frame with the screws from the vacuum motors. Bring the wipers arms to a level point and measure the gap( mine was 6")cut a piece of steel about 3-4" longer and remove the wiper arms. I used a pice of steel that was about the same size as the arms then drilled 3 holes at each end and used selftapping screws to attach the pieces together.Later I welded the steel to the arms but the screw held it fine. Install the wiper assembly again and leave the nuts(I used nylon locking nuts) on the studes loose. If the motor mount has the motor on it its ok and can be done either way. Connect the arm to the motor and use small selftapping screws with big washers to mount the motor and mount to the windshield frame (2 people is helpfull at this point)I made a plug for the cigarett lighter to power the motor and check for alignment and bind. After some small adjustments I used small and short selftappers in the top holes of the motor mount and remover the srews and washers from the bottom holes. The left side bottom of the mount should be on the plate you made and youll need to use a washer to shim the right bottom side. I then used 1/4" screws and locking washers on the bottom holes to fasten the motor mount to the windshield frame and used the cig lighter plug again to check the operation. I believe the wires are Black_ground, White- wiper return,red-slow,blue-fast.Wireing I used the vacuum line in the windshield to pull the wires down for the motor( I Used 2 14 gau. lamp cords ).The washer fluid push button was removed and the wiper switch instaled in the same hole. The hot wire from the washer switch was used to power the washer motor again and I used a new wire from the fuse box to power the wiper motor. Useing stake-ons I connected the wires to the switch because I didnt have a wire harness or fact. plug and added a larger fuse to handle the wiper motor. Now the outside wipers can be installed and ive noticed that with the wipers being moved that 1/8" closer to the windshild because of the plates the clear a little better and work together like fact. wipers and not un sinced like the aftermarket dual motor kit. Im still working on the cover since the factory cover is to short, hope the pics post if not ask and ill e-mail them to you.

1owner66

Loc.
Georgetown Texas
Well the fuel pump worked 11 or so years ago anyway but I do need at least one vacuum wiper. One was dead so to pass inspection I gutted it and put a connecting rod from one are to the other so one motor would run the both of them. It worked and I actually had synchronized vacuum wipers that way.