• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum wipers, to electic. Tips wanted!

ColtonT66

I have a stock '66 with the original vacuum wipers. They're practically dead now. Lost suction, when you hit the gas, they stop working and remain stationary until they feel like moving. So, I wanted to switch to individual non-syncronized electirc motors. I put it off until this winter (rains hit). So I purchased them from Tom's Bronco Parts. Plus the wiring harness. I need tips on shaving the hole for the rods that go through the windshield that connect to the actaul blades. The hole was fit for vacuum. So they're smaller. Plus the help for the wiring. Anybody been through this or simliar that could help me?

Thanks
-Colton T.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
A uni-bit is the easiest way, a tapered bit that steps up in size every 1/16". I hope it came with the wiring instructions, getting ready to buy a set.

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
Use the tapered bit as mentioned. I put a setup out of a 77 into my 67 and had to open up the holes and then lengthened the wiper linkage so I wouldnt have to drill new holes into the windshield frame.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
going from stock vacuum to stock electric you have to lengthen the linkage and open up the holes?

Yes, I had to lengthen the linkage on an earlier window frame that I was working on.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
You might consider moving the driver's side wiper 6" to the driver's side. with the stock holes I'm always leaning into the center of the truck to see out.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I am in the midst of replacing my replacement electric wiper motors on the '67 . I had a couple elcheepo universal motors but the plastic gears took gas after several years use. I went with WH kit and used a unibit to enlarge the holes and reset the sweep angle from 110 deg. on the pass. side to 80 deg.(drivers side still at 110) as per WH instructions. I'm now fishing wire through the post , I'll let you know how it works out.