• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve cover oil leak

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
I've been fighting a valve cover oil leak and losing. I noticed my valve cover was puffing slightly at idle so I upped my PCV size til I had a slight amount of pull (per Hayne's manual instructions) and changed breather caps, but still have the problem.

I did notice though that if I look down into the tube I can see the head clear. There is a baffle on there, but its to either side of the hole, not directly below. I have those script bronco valve covers.
Anyone know what that baffle is "supposed" to look like or have a picture that I can compare? Thanks.

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think the baffle should be below the hole. How old is the motor? It could be from old rings aloowing so much oil up there (blow by) that it will leak. My tired 351w had never ending valve cover leaks from the breather til it got rebuilt.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
A MOPAR buddy told me to put a scotch brite pad in the breather hole to "filter" out the oil. I haven't tried it yet-he swears by it.

Rob

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I've been fighting a valve cover oil leak and losing. I noticed my valve cover was puffing slightly at idle so I upped my PCV size til I had a slight amount of pull (per Hayne's manual instructions) and changed breather caps, but still have the problem.

I did notice though that if I look down into the tube I can see the head clear. There is a baffle on there, but its to either side of the hole, not directly below. I have those script bronco valve covers.
Anyone know what that baffle is "supposed" to look like or have a picture that I can compare? Thanks.

,,,,,the side with the PCV grommet has a flat plate against the valve cover & the side with the tube has a rectangular box type baffle going to the bottom of the rocker spring area ,,,, not a cure for blow-by ,but to keep the valve covers squeaky clean even on a heathy engine consider running a 5/8" hose off to a remote breather instead of the direct clamp on the engine setup

Attachments

• 000_0054.JPG
    000_0054.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 000_0056.JPG
    000_0056.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 34