• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Very best donor vehicle?

RedBank

What is the very best donor vehicle for multiple swaps? For example, looking to upgrade a dead 302, manual trans, non power steering, drum brakes, Dana 30 to a running 302, auto transmission, front disc brakes, tilt steering column with power steering. Is there one vehicle to get all or most of these from like a '79 F150 4x4?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
No there is no one donor vehicle.

For the brakes, steering column and power steering the 1979 F150 4x4 is good.

But for the engine and transmission the 1996 - 2001 Explorer/Mountaineer is better.

Even then you will need an early Bronco Dana 44 for the front.
The one from the F150 is high pinion, so unless your plans include 4.5 inch suspension lift you probably don't want to use it.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You can't really get everything from one vehicle like was said, I was in the same boat as you and picked up my parts from the vendors and some from the guys here in the parts for sale section. I just hit every Xmas sale and free shipping sale I could find. I just did it all little by little cuz I needed just about everything you could think of lol. The only thing I didn't need was a engine, I bought my project with a freshly built 302,so I got lucky there.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Best donor would be a 76/77 bronco. Only thing you wouldn't get is a tilt column. Most of the items your wanting tend to be in high demand and tend to bring in more money for said parts vehicles. It would be nice if it was all one stop shopping but its not.
Without knowing what your build needs are this is what I would suggest do the GM disc brake swap on your D30 if you get a D44 in the future the brakes can be swapped over If needed.
Rebuild your current 302. Explorer motors are a good swap as is its transmission but it will cost you to convert there are items that need to be changed to make it all work. You also have to consider that the transmission has OD and is also electronic and you may need to regear the axles to use OD and if you don't keep the explorer EFI you will need a stand alone computer for the tranny,
Power steering there are many options for this stock bronco setups are fairly cheap and straight forward to swap. Aftermarket kits are a good option as well, Stuff like 78/79 f150/bronco boxes are getting harder to find but can be found for fairly cheap. But takes some modifications to make them work. Same with a lot of the other donor boxes there is info on them in the links section.
Tilt columns are not always easy to find and even then it comes down to condition. It may be worth going aftermarket in some cases.
A lot of swaps depend on your capabilities and how much money you want to spend. If your looking to do all at once then it may cost more and may be better to buy some of the kits that are out there than donor stuff.
But if you say get a engine in it then maybe disc brakes. Then you can at least drive it and have time to find other parts. You can swap things like power steering, tilt column easily when you source it.
Transmissions are not to hard to swap in either but keep in mind that adapters, a rebuild, controllers, Shifters, tranny coolers and axle gearing may be needed as well which could turn into a big chunk of money fast.
Like was said there really is no one donor that will cover it all especially if you want to upgrade to more modern parts.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I'd say that 96 up to 2001 Exploder or Mountaineer ... But the AOD OR AODE TRANS HAS TO HAVE MORE HELP. .lots of adapters & building .. It may cost more than the motor.
& a new Painless wiring harness. & then the other new wiring harness for dash & for the headlights & for the tail lights .
... THE 74 CHEVY BLAZER Brakes are better .. After 3.. 78 /79 F100 up steering columns . I'm about to holler uncle on them .. All 3 have broke. I think I'd just spend the cash & buy an ididit column next time .
& Yes you still got to find a Dana 44 axle.
& find a Hydro BOOST
& ALUMINUM RADIATOR
& 23 GALLON TANK.
...& WHERE DOES IT STOP.
.............. SOME ONE COINED ...YEARS AGO ... There is No such thing as a finished BRONCO ...........

SavageBurro

sorry - not much help here... I have parts from about 20 different rigs and countless homemade and aftermarket parts.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Holy cow. The next owner will be a little confused when trying to buy parts.

OP
OP
R

RedBank

Thanks for the feedback. I know there isn't one donor vehicle to meet all needs. Just wanted help in what to look for to get started. On my last build I bought new parts and kits and looking for cheaper solutions this time. I wish there was a list of what items can be gotten off what donors. Thinking I will have the 302 rebuilt due to fear of the computer related stuff on explorer motor swap.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Any item can be gotten from any donor. It all depends on how YOU want YOUR eB to work. So that's what you have to decide first, and then describe. Then you'll get specific suggestions of why this one donor would be better to achieve that effect than another.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the feedback. I know there isn't one donor vehicle to meet all needs. Just wanted help in what to look for to get started. On my last build I bought new parts and kits and looking for cheaper solutions this time. I wish there was a list of what items can be gotten off what donors. Thinking I will have the 302 rebuilt due to fear of the computer related stuff on explorer motor swap.

There's no need to fear, that's why EFI Guy is here. :cool: